Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

how to change my little one's name

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:02 PM
  • 14 Replies

I love my girl to death I just wish I would have given her my last name in the hospital.. I want to change it but not sure how to go about doing so.

btw I'm a single, young, breastfeeding mother of a 5 month old baby <3

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoldenLinds
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Therebare a lot of factors but talking to a lawyer or human services is the first step. She should still be young enough that the fee is minor. Good luck. I know there are plenty of women here with more info than I have.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by Janet on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:07 PM
In some states, if you do a name change within the first year there is no charge. I know it's certain in Wisconsin. Check with an attorney or family court office.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hotmessmom
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:08 PM

yolu already gave the child dads last name and you need his permission in almost all circumstances. You just cannot change the name. Is he involved at all?

prettymommylove
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:12 PM

He'll give permission I'm sure of it. He doesn't want to upset me on the matter. he stops by like once a week and helps with diapers every once in a while.

Quoting Hotmessmom:

yolu already gave the child dads last name and you need his permission in almost all circumstances. You just cannot change the name. Is he involved at all?

MoPain
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:18 PM

it's easier if he agrees to it i know my ex wont i wish I'd given her my last name too nothing i can do about it now Good Luck

Hotmessmom
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:38 PM

well I do not know the situation but changing the babys last name will push him away even further. Have you actually filed for child support and has paternity even been established? would you let him see the baby more if he wanted? If i were you encourage a relationship and set up a visitation schedule. he may be reluctant to take you to court but it does not sound like anything will ever happen in his favor if he does nothing about it. i do not know what changing the last name will do but he may eventually decide to start enforcing his parental rights but wthout a court order he doesnt have any.

prettymommylove
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:07 AM

he could see her more if he wanted, we don't have a visitation schedule, no sense to since both of us have no rythme or rythum to our weekly schedule. I just hate the plain name he has and adore my own, he knows that. I've filed for child support and by him signing the birth certificate he acknowledges paternity as far as the state of florida is concerned.

prettymommylove
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:08 AM

he agrees, he doesn't like any friction so he won't cause it.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I don't know but here's a bump for you!  Good luck!

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I would talk to a lawyer and see what they can tell you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)