Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Stupid tonsils

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:01 AM
  • 9 Replies

So in January of 2012 I had strep throat for the first time in over 20 years then the end of November 2012 I had tonsillitis (again first time in a very very long time). Then yesterday I notice that my gland is swollen on the left side of my throat, my head hurts, and when I look in my throat my tonsil is really swollen, red, and has white gunk on it again. This is exactly how the tonsillitis started in November! So tonight I plan on going to the walk in clinic to try and get meds before it gets as bad as it did last time (I put off going to the dr last time in hopes it would go away). One of my friends felt the need to point out that if I kept this rate up they may start talking about taking my tonsils. Sooo right now I am not a very happy person! I hope everybody else is having a better day than me!!

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lydi
by Lydi on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:43 AM

hugs! i hope the day turns around for you. and you get this medical stuff figured out!

easinpc
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Thanks!

Quoting lydi:

hugs! i hope the day turns around for you. and you get this medical stuff figured out!

steviechick
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I hope you feel better soon.  My mom had her tonsils taken out when she was in 7th grade.   She woke up from her surgery and ate ice cream.  It was the best feeling.  She, too, had strep throat (didn't know the term back then!) which led to her tonsilectomy.  I had my wisdom teeth pulled when I was 19.  My cheeks were bloated for three weeks.  HATED the idea of surgery, but knew it had to be done.  Baby steps, my friend, baby steps.   ; )

easinpc
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Thanks!  I went to the dr over my lunch and I do have tonsillitis again and she said that if I keep getting it then they will start to seriously look at removing them but otherwise as adults the risks go way up so they try not to if they don't have to. 

Quoting steviechick:

I hope you feel better soon.  My mom had her tonsils taken out when she was in 7th grade.   She woke up from her surgery and ate ice cream.  It was the best feeling.  She, too, had strep throat (didn't know the term back then!) which led to her tonsilectomy.  I had my wisdom teeth pulled when I was 19.  My cheeks were bloated for three weeks.  HATED the idea of surgery, but knew it had to be done.  Baby steps, my friend, baby steps.   ; )

LauraMH
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Most insurance companies say the minimum to qualify is 7 strep throats in one year. So hopefully you wont need to have them removed! I hope you feel better soon!

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Feel better soon.

lizard11080
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:23 AM

:( hope you're feeling better!  The last couple years I had strep about every 4 weeks, to the point where I just had to call the doc and ask for the antibiotic because I knew my symptoms.  I had the tonsils removed in July ... very painful as an adult, but I must say a I am happy...no strep since even though I know it is possible.  Good luck!!!

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:09 AM
I think my insurance says 7 in a year too my son had his adenoids out he was wanting to play outside that afyernoon
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
breebree04
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:17 AM

My son had his tonsils and adenoids removed at the same time plus had tubes put in and he was eating pizza that night lol I think he was 4 yrs old at the time but the dr said the younger you are the faster you recover.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)