Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Thanks for the warm welcomes

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:26 PM
  • 5 Replies

I really appreciate all of the warm welcomes and encouraging words.  Its nice to be able to talk to people who understand.  My daughter, 3 years old, has a couple of cavities that need to be filled. UGGHHHH!!! She hates the dentist and fights, screams and cries the entire time even when its just a cleaning.  The Dentist wants to do IV sedation for this procedure.  My ex freaked out and said absolutely not.  I resent that he thinks he can make that decision when he has never been to the dentist with her.  I have had to endure the misery with her.  I don't like the idea of sedation, it can be dangerous but I believe that they know what they are doing.  They even bring in an anesthesiologist.  I really wish that I could make decisions with out having to tell him, but I know that I can't do that.

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Robsessed98
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I'm not sure I agree with that kind of sedation just for fillings either. My gs, 4&5, but just had 3 fillings each and they were given a low dose of Valium. It just relaxes and makes them groggy enough so they won't fight and wiggle and it worked perfectly. IMO actual sedation like you're talking about shouldn't be used for anything unless it's major.

LauraMH
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:55 PM

What about nitrous oxide? I work for a dentist and we use it on kids all the time. It relaxes them, makes them not even care what is going on then is completely out of their system after 10 minutes of oxygen. It might be something to consider and I bet your ex would be more open to that idea.

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Jan. 29, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I tend to agree...good luck to you though!!

Quoting Robsessed98:

I'm not sure I agree with that kind of sedation just for fillings either. My gs, 4&5, but just had 3 fillings each and they were given a low dose of Valium. It just relaxes and makes them groggy enough so they won't fight and wiggle and it worked perfectly. IMO actual sedation like you're talking about shouldn't be used for anything unless it's major.

steviechick
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Filings should be a fairly easy procedure.  I wouldn't allow my 3 yr old to get sedated because she fights whenever she enters a dentist's office.  IV's should only be used for major surgery.  I would think if anything your DD should learn to accept going to the dentist.  I would speak to her pediatrician about her angst.  Perhaps he/she can recommend a better way to approach going to the dentist.   And, a dentist wanting to use sedation as a means to calm my child - I wouldn't even go back there!

zuzusmomma
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:55 PM
I'm not at all with the IV sedation either. They used versed and it didn't seem to work on her. They told me that it wouldn't be full sedation. When u say fight I don't mean she drags her feet on the way in the door I mean 3 techs holding her down, crying and screaming throughout the entire procedure. I hate that she has to go through any of this! Ugh!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN