Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Am I the only single mom who is anxious about filing taxes?

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:25 PM
  • 36 Replies
1 mom liked this

I don't make much money, but I budget well so my two chidren and I survive check to check. I entered my info from my w2 into Turbo Tax out of curiousity and it says I should be expecting a little over 7K for my refund. I feel so relieved. I can live a little without scraping dollars together to buy food, diapers , and gas after all bills are paid. I NEVER get to buy myself anything because I simply can't afford to buy anything but necessities. So after I pay the little that's left of my car payments, pay off small debts, stock up on things for the kids, and put a lot of it into savings, I want to buy myself some things...finally! Just felt like letting that out lol because I don't want to share this info with my friends. Then I also get my ex's return...which I probably won't get until Sept/Oct. Do we all love this time of year? 

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corib4687
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I know I'm waiting for it. My crappy car needs work...and I'm paying my insurance premiums and opening a Christmas club account this year
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mhaney03
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I just did all mine on turbotax (just filled it out, didn't actually file) just to see waht it would say cuase i got no w2 this year.. i get a grand on the education credit and that's it......... i have no taxes to pay.  not sure i will even file this year.. only reason I put the info into turbotax was because I needed what my AGI was for my FAFSA, and that was $14 LOL.. from my interest from my bank account.

I am also getting my ex's refund, and am seriously thinking about letting him claim the kids JUST to make sure he gets enough of a return to pay off all the child support he owes.  my $1k refund won't change if i take the kids off my return.  He is $1800 behind.

I still have one piece of paperwork left to get and that is my student loan interest paid.

ckmom2013
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:38 PM

That might be a good idea so that you can get some of your money from him. But be careful if he is the sneaky type to try and claim your child/children every year. I will never under any circumstances let my ex claim our kids. He is the biggest con artist/schemer in the world. And him and my son have the same name so he might try to use his social to open up accounts and credit cards lol...no thanks!

Quoting mhaney03:

I just did all mine on turbotax (just filled it out, didn't actually file) just to see waht it would say cuase i got no w2 this year.. i get a grand on the education credit and that's it......... i have no taxes to pay.  not sure i will even file this year.. only reason I put the info into turbotax was because I needed what my AGI was for my FAFSA, and that was $14 LOL.. from my interest from my bank account.

I am also getting my ex's refund, and am seriously thinking about letting him claim the kids JUST to make sure he gets enough of a return to pay off all the child support he owes.  my $1k refund won't change if i take the kids off my return.  He is $1800 behind.

I still have one piece of paperwork left to get and that is my student loan interest paid.

mhaney03
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Yeah I thought about that too, haven't decided yet.  My ex is a bit nutty.. okay he's totally mental but I don't think he'd do that without asking me first. 

Honestly though, he probably won't even file this year.  He's the type that needs a woman to hold his hand, tell him what to do, when to do it, how to do it, how long to do it for.... and he doesn't have me doing it for him anymore.  if i want to let him use the kids, he'd probably give me his paperwork and say "do it for me" 

Quoting ckmom2013:

That might be a good idea so that you can get some of your money from him. But be careful if he is the sneaky type to try and claim your child/children every year. I will never under any circumstances let my ex claim our kids. He is the biggest con artist/schemer in the world. And him and my son have the same name so he might try to use his social to open up accounts and credit cards lol...no thanks!

Quoting mhaney03:

aj23
by Amanda on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:49 PM
I owe taxes this year. I've never gotten a refund of more than a couple of thousand and its been a few years since I got that. Last year I had to pay around $1,500 but thankfully this year I only have to pay about $200.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lnk8522
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:19 PM
unfortunately my ex claims ds this year.we alternate. and now i'm finding out that i won't even see my little bit of money until the end of February. and i filed 2 Weeks ago! fracking irs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ckmom2013
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Oh sheesh ladies. How do you end up owing though? Is is that you make above the 47,000 or whatever the limit is and dont have enough taken from your check? I though that I would owe becase they barely take anything from my check.

Jenn8604
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Ive never dreaded it. Course Ive been a single mom since my baby was born and filed tax that yr single.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
a06z08mama
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:51 PM
I am now kinda wishing that I had it set up that I claim both this year. Since he will get to claim both preschool and daycare costs (he has to pay them so he claims them). And then next year he claim DD and I claim DS. But hell. I wish I got to claim both now with my hours changing he doesn't have them but 3 hours Thea Wed and Thursday and his eow. :/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Threeboysemt1
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:22 PM
I understand what you are saying and I feel the same...I finally get to pay off somethings

Quoting ckmom2013:

I don't make much money, but I budget well so my two chidren and I survive check to check. I entered my info from my w2 into Turbo Tax out of curiousity and it says I should be expecting a little over 7K for my refund. I feel so relieved. I can live a little without scraping dollars together to buy food, diapers , and gas after all bills are paid. I NEVER get to buy myself anything because I simply can't afford to buy anything but necessities. So after I pay the little that's left of my car payments, pay off small debts, stock up on things for the kids, and put a lot of it into savings, I want to buy myself some things...finally! Just felt like letting that out lol because I don't want to share this info with my friends. Then I also get my ex's return...which I probably won't get until Sept/Oct. Do we all love this time of year? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)