Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Am I the only single mom who is anxious about filing taxes?

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't make much money, but I budget well so my two chidren and I survive check to check. I entered my info from my w2 into Turbo Tax out of curiousity and it says I should be expecting a little over 7K for my refund. I feel so relieved. I can live a little without scraping dollars together to buy food, diapers , and gas after all bills are paid. I NEVER get to buy myself anything because I simply can't afford to buy anything but necessities. So after I pay the little that's left of my car payments, pay off small debts, stock up on things for the kids, and put a lot of it into savings, I want to buy myself some things...finally! Just felt like letting that out lol because I don't want to share this info with my friends. Then I also get my ex's return...which I probably won't get until Sept/Oct. Do we all love this time of year? 

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Replies (21-30):
mz23
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:27 AM
I did the tax calculate r it said id get 4k back but when I did it ended up being 1300. Which is good still but a little misleading lol. I don't count my chickens before they.hatch. But anything I get will be helpful.
victoriahearts
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm happy that you are getting so much I'm sure that will be put to good use, and getting yourself something is a must you have definitely earned it. I will be lucky not to owe anything , I usually don't get back large amounts back maybe $200 or $300 bucks.

jenmomx3
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I was nervous because I was on unemployment most of last year, and I didn't have taxes taken out, so i thought I was going to owe for the year, and I was stressed out about that.  Im supposed to get 1000 back, and I feel happy and blessed...

ckmom2013
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:02 AM
DONT SCARE ME LOL BUT I ENTERED MY LAST TWO YEARS TOO N THEY WERE ACCURATE

Quoting mz23:

I did the tax calculate r it said id get 4k back but when I did it ended up being 1300. Which is good still but a little misleading lol. I don't count my chickens before they.hatch. But anything I get will be helpful.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
witchybabymomma
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL I am happy I get to buy some new work pants

just4ds10ee
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Quoting ckmom2013:

Oh sheesh ladies. How do you end up owing though? Is is that you make above the 47,000 or whatever the limit is and dont have enough taken from your check? I though that I would owe becase they barely take anything from my check.

Just off the top of my head...if you have only one child, do not qualify for EIC due to your income and do not qualify for child care tax credit due to the age of your child (13) are ways in my case..I am just happy when  I do not owe anything  :) I don't understand how some moms get $3000+ and more  :) I am happy for the ones of you who do get that type of refund though...

NananRaysmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:55 PM
I am because I always owe...I have never got one of these big returns I have heard others getting.
NananRaysmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:59 PM
I make more than that...but even at that...with 2 kids and insane daycare costs..health care costs....I don't feel like I make a good amount...

Quoting ckmom2013:

Oh sheesh ladies. How do you end up owing though? Is is that you make above the 47,000 or whatever the limit is and dont have enough taken from your check? I though that I would owe becase they barely take anything from my check.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:01 AM
I'm nervous I made more this year
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sallij
by Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:18 AM
I try to do this, too. I try to keep it less than $600, but I did an awful job this year. This is also the first year I qualified for EIC, so I think that made a big difference, too. I filed tonight, and I'll be adjusting my withholding on Monday.

Quoting just4ds10ee:

Quoting ckmom2013:

Just off the top of my head...if you have only one child, do not qualify for EIC due to your income and do not qualify for child care tax credit due to the age of your child (13) are ways in my case..I am just happy when  I do not owe anything  :) I don't understand how some moms get $3000+ and more  :) I am happy for the ones of you who do get that type of refund though...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN