Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

to go or not...

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:44 PM
  • 12 Replies
I posted awhile back about my son's dad not paying cs like he was supposed to be and was considering calling him but found out the next day that the state was finally hitting him with contempt charges for failure to pay.

Well, I got paperwork in the mail today with when court is and I was welcome to come. I called the DA's office to ask if they'd recommend showing up. The paralegal I talked to said that even though I won't be testifying, it does show the court that I'm serious about my son's needs and can put more pressure on the judge to be harder. It's been a yr since I've received a payment, my son is 2 and a half and in total have received less than 2 months worth of support.

Part of me wants to go, I want to know exactly what happens and I want him to know I'm serious about him doing his part. Part of me is scared to go too, I haven't faced him in person since I left him at 6 wks pregnant and got a restraining order. He never showed up to the custody and cs hearing...

What would you do in this situation?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ckmom2013
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Personally, I wouldn't show up. Leave things the way they are, and let the court deal with you getting your money back. They will send you a copy of the paperwork in the mail. (This happened to me before) 

brieri
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Good luck whatever you decide.

emilysmom8
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:44 PM

I personally would go. Show the courts that you are serious, and show him that you are over him and not scared of him anymore (even if you are act like your not)

singlemama0905
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:55 PM
I'm not scared of him at all anymore. I think I'm more scared to go because I know my family will make a huge deal out of it, my mom especially. I talk to my ex's sister sometimes and my family then starts all kinds of drama with me about having any contact, they're way of thinking I should handle it is to pretend he doesn't exist and not make any attempts in helping to collect cs or child care which he's order to pay half of and is about 6k behind in because he's never paid a dime. Thinks cs and any help with child care is a want and not a need.

Quoting emilysmom8:

I personally would go. Show the courts that you are serious, and show him that you are over him and not scared of him anymore (even if you are act like your not)

Robsessed98
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I would absolutely be there. If you don't want to face him, just don't look at him like he's not even there.

bahamamama61
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:42 AM
I would go:) And take a picture of your Son to give to your ex! An when you hand it to him, say "This is what your money is needed for":)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM
I would be there. He probably won't even show. And even though not required it does give the judge a chance to speak to you directly if he/she would like to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
singlemama0905
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this
He's never even met my son, he has supervised visitation but has never asked for a visit and never calls or texts to ask about him. I actually don't even put my son in my profile pictures on fb because I don't want him to get a picture that way. If he wants to see his son he needs to act like he cares and actually set up visits

Quoting bahamamama61:

I would go:) And take a picture of your Son to give to your ex! An when you hand it to him, say "This is what your money is needed for":)
singlemama0905
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:12 AM
That's what the paralegal I spoke to told me which is why I'm tempted to go. Even tho I've made it 2 and a half yrs without his help things are tight with me bein in school fulltime about to start the nursing program,his lousy 171 would make a difference

Quoting conniejo75:

I would be there. He probably won't even show. And even though not required it does give the judge a chance to speak to you directly if he/she would like to.
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Everytime I went (and was told that I was not required to)... and the judge always asked questions to me instead of just through the D.A.
I think you will regret if you don't go.... even if judge doesn't speak to you. For no other reason than you know exactly what happens with your case.

Quoting singlemama0905:

That's what the paralegal I spoke to told me which is why I'm tempted to go. Even tho I've made it 2 and a half yrs without his help things are tight with me bein in school fulltime about to start the nursing program,his lousy 171 would make a difference

Quoting conniejo75:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN