Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

separation anxiety

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:18 AM
  • 6 Replies

My ex husband and his wife are military next year my ex husband will be stationed in a different state  1500 miles away. My son is 3 and has started coming home saying "i have to go to Texas with "Matt" (he calls his father by his first name because his step siblings do) because he is the boss" with this  he has developed a horrible case of separation anxiety. On top of that he comes home saying " your my other mommy" and  "I have 2 mommies but mary is (his step mother) my real mommy. Any advice on how to make things easier on my son? I know there will be a custody battle soon but how can i help my son

by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
breebree04
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I would just keep reminding him. Since hes only three he might not fully understand everything but if he says I have two mommies, agree but say yes I am your mommy and mary is your step mommy. When talks about going to Texas just tell him yes you might go with daddy for a visit but you will always live here with mommmy. You might just have to keep telling him everytime he brings it up, eventually he will get it.

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I agree with this advice.

Good luck!

Quoting breebree04:

I would just keep reminding him. Since hes only three he might not fully understand everything but if he says I have two mommies, agree but say yes I am your mommy and mary is your step mommy. When talks about going to Texas just tell him yes you might go with daddy for a visit but you will always live here with mommmy. You might just have to keep telling him everytime he brings it up, eventually he will get it.

victoriahearts
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Same thing, I agree with bree , he is very small so you will just have to keep reminding him and eventually he will understand. 

steviechick
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Your son is only three years old.  He's just starting to grasp the idea of having two families.  I agree with Bree as well.  Keep reminding your son that YOU are the mother and Mary is the wife of your ex.  Soon your son will start to call Mary by her name.  However, I would remind your son that his father should be called Dad.  And, after your son has gone to Texas a few times he will start to get used to being there and with his extended new family members. 

brieri
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Hi and welcome to the group.

Make that guy stay put, take him back to court! 

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Welcome great tips from the other mamas
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN