Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

how did you come to be a single parent?

Posted by   + Show Post
Just curious to know others story of how they became single mothers.

Me and my childrens father were togeher for four years before it ended. Six months into our relationship I found out I was pregnant with my now three year old daughter , that's when everything started going down hill. I found out he was a serious drunk and pot head who didn't want to grow up and be a father. I tried to look past his bullshit so my daughter could have both parents. We found out june I was pregnant with our second child and that's when everything got even worse and he started getting more violent tword me and my daughter and just four months ago he told me neither of my kids are his and he didn't want to be around anymore. So for the plaster four months I have been a single parent and its one of the best things that could have happened to me and my kids
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Replies (31-40):
blondieinva80
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I left the sperm donor when I was 5 1/2 months pregnant with ds. He was being verbally abusive and I shoulda left him months before but I didn't.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mylilgooberpea
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Married to my sons father 7 years together 9 lost 2 babies 5 years into our marriage. Gave birth to my son... He started getting involved with my married friend some time after that. He chose her over his family. So here I am.
Jamilynn130
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:57 PM
2 moms liked this

My husband of 19 years was murdered nearly six months ago in front of our house.

We had two daughters (13 & 15) from our relationship, plus two that are grown (38 & 37).

We moved in with my son the same day my husband was killed.  He was only 55 years old and we had

been together for 20 years.

Phillymama123
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting kerrisue89:

We just...fought all the time. We lived together but I felt super unsupported as a new and terrified mom. We just didn't know each other that well. So we split. I moved back in with my.mom as a way to save $$$ for grad school (done in 79 days!!) But we get along better than ever now
So its just confusing.
MoPain
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SpurgeonMom:

no clue anything was wrong he just said in June he wanted a separation we snuggled daily we had fun always laughed he just didn't want full time responsibility

Wow this is my story exactly except for my daughter was born in june and he ended things in October

CafeMom Tickers
Courtney0601
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:52 PM
2 moms liked this

I was with the kids father, married for 10 years. He was verbally abusive through most of our marriage, but was in denial that things would get better. Last June, my daughter, age 4, asked if we could go stay the night at grandmas because daddy was yelling again. I walked out that day and filed for divorce the next day. Still going through divorce now, he is making this nasty. We share custody right now, and he still tries to make jabs at me whenever he has the opportunity. I have never been happier though, lost 15 lbs, in the best shape of my life, have wonderful friends and family, life is good otherwise!

ChgIsGood2012
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

My son's father and I got together when I was 16 and he was 18. Honestly, I didn't want a long term relationship, I was hot (young dumb and full of ***) and wanted a boyfriend. Well, we fell in love and it moved quickly. I was pregnant with our son within 3 months of us being together. We made it work pretty well for 3 1/2 years. Things changed when I went off for college. DS dad did everything he could to make things work (kept our son while I was off to school out of town 4 days a week, got us our own apt not terribly far from the school), but I wanted to 'do my own thing' and wasn't ready for a family. So I left and encouraged him to find someone who wanted to be with him like he wanted them.

That's how I became a single mom. When I finally grew up and got some sense, he was done with me and I had given myself away to more men than I'd care to count. He wanted nothing more than a sexual relationship. I couldn't do it, so he moved on, he has a girlfriend who he lives with and she has a child from a previous relationship. He also has another son who is 6 yrs old with another woman who he had a long term relationship with (and she too left him after 4 years, so I heard). And I'm living 45 + min away from him with our child as a single mom. He sees my son, but not often. The last time he saw him was Christmas 2012.

I always say, if I knew then what I knew now, I would have made better decisions. I would have appreciated this man and the family that I had. But i didn't know any better. I was a broken woman who didn't know what was good. I always thought I'd rather be a single mom than have a husband/boyfriend because I saw all the stuff my mom went through with men. So my actions reflected that idea. And unlike now, I never talked to anyone about how I felt and had no counseling.

I want a mate, a good one though. It would be nice to have a man help me to raise my son...he's 12 right now and at a stage where he needs that influential, good man.

But we have been doing it this long because of God's grace and I do get help from family/friends when needed.

ChgIsGood2012
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Quoting Jamilynn130:

My husband of 19 years was murdered nearly six months ago in front of our house.

We had two daughters (13 & 15) from our relationship, plus two that are grown (38 & 37).

We moved in with my son the same day my husband was killed.  He was only 55 years old and we had

been together for 20 years.

Oh wow, bless your heart. That is sad to hear. How are you doing these days? How are your children?

ChgIsGood2012
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Quoting Blue_Spiral:

He continued to harass me until he bought a ticket out of state and I got a restraining order the exact same week.

Now he's been contacting me saying he loves me and wants me back. The divorce is getting over with soon, thank goodness. 

Wow, I hope you all stay safe and dude goes on with his life.

BensMom12412
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Me and my ex were together a month when I found out I was pregnant. He stuck around. Became verbally abusive and once our son turned 1 he hit me. I kicked him put haven't talked to him since.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN