Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Child support/ medical issue

Posted by   + Show Post

Okay so my ex boyfriend and I have twin 16 month old daughters. We have been in court for a year now, and so far all we have is temporary visitation/custody set up. He gets them once a week for six hours supervised. I have full temporary custody. 

My first question, we are about to go to mediation and i am extremely nervous, i want full custody, do you think it would change drastically from what we have if we have to go to court?

Second, we have child support set up. 518 dollars a month (he says he pays more, but my papers, and what i receive, is 518). He claims he pays 80 dollars a month to the state because our kids have been on medicaid. Well recently, because I didn't get a paper sent in on time, they got closed off of medicaid. ( I have already talked to them and we are working on getting it started again) However, yesterday they had to have a minor surgery. I figured I would just be broke for a long time and make payments, I was not even planning on bringing any of it up to him until they needed a prescription after surgery that was 200.00. I was completely broke and I went to him and asked him if he could help out. He agreed, but threw a fit, demanded I called child support and have it wrote off. I did not tell him I wouldn't do this, but he then told me he could take me to court and get me in trouble for having him pay this, because it is not his responsibility and thats what his child support is for. This is the one and only time I have ever turned to him for additional help, ever. Is this going to look bad on me for custody or anything? He also says he is going to begin covering our children under insurance through his job soon, and he says that because he is doing this I will be 100 percent responsible for all of the deductibles and what not? True or not? 

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Replies (11-13):
just4ds10ee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Make sure in your court orders you ask that he pay health insurance, child support payments and that he pay 50 % of all medical, dental, eye care not covered by health insurance.

He is 100% wrong!!! Medical costs do not have anything to do with monthly child support payments!!!

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:02 PM

it wont look bad on you for custody but i get his frustration ahving to come out of the pocket because YOU forgot to send something in for medicaid. however, if he has insurance through his job, he could be ordered to cover them so he cna be thankful for that.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:05 PM

also, i dont understand why moms cant pay the copay themselves if the father is paying 300 on up to cover the kids on the insurance a month. unless its really crappy insurance or the kids have medical issues. im glad my SO isnt court ordered to pay her half of the pissy 20 copay for her healthy kids that get seen a few times a year when he paid 300 a month to cover them. she would even not pay NO copay and have kaiser bill him. i was so glad when kaiser stopped allowing you to bill copays. i never even wanted my kdis on their dads insurance, i wanted them on mine so i caould know what was going on without having to talk to HIS insurance company.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN