Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice: Kids home alone..

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:55 PM
  • 10 Replies

Poll

Question: Okay to leave 10 year old home alone?

Options:

Fine

Maybe

HECK NO

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 15

View Results

My soon to be ex (he left in August), and I split custody.  We do 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off.  I always have her far more than he does because as part of the divorce settlement I included a statement that went something along the lines of no babysitters unless the other parent isn't available.  This has resulted in me having far more parenting time then he does as he is out partying/dating/playing sports/activities, etc.  (which, to be honest, was my reason for including that!!!)
I now find out that he is leaving our 10 year old home alone.  I am FURIOUS.  He works for CPS, and keeps telling me this is FINE.  It is NOT FINE with ME. 
Please advise...

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this
For how long? During day or night? When my kids were 10/11. I would leave them home alone while I went to store or short errands. But never at night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cenedra64
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:00 PM
I wouldnt like it but i asked cps myself coz i was worried bout leaving my kids alone. Even cops said it depends on the kid. NC is wishy washy tell ya its ok but sure get ya for something. I asked coz i thought it was illegal to leave a kid under 13 home alone. They say no here
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abundance1
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I am okay with him doing a quick run to the store.  But he wants to leave her when he goes "bowling" which is really 3 hours of drinking, at night or for the whole day when she has snow days, so various times.  Mind you this is in a house he has only been in since October, he knows NONE of his neighbors and neither does she. 

At my home, we have lived here 7 years, she is on a first name, hang-out basis with 4/4 of my neighbors.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:22 PM
CPS wont do anything. But you may want to just stipulate child will not be left alone until 12/13. It may not be something courts have issue with.... hard to say. I think bigger issue is if he is out drinking more than just he is gone

Quoting abundance1:

I am okay with him doing a quick run to the store.  But he wants to leave her when he goes "bowling" which is really 3 hours of drinking, at night or for the whole day when she has snow days, so various times.  Mind you this is in a house he has only been in since October, he knows NONE of his neighbors and neither does she. 

At my home, we have lived here 7 years, she is on a first name, hang-out basis with 4/4 of my neighbors.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChgIsGood2012
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 9:41 PM

During the daytime, it's okay, but it should be for important stuff - errands, work, emergencies. Not just for fun.

domsmom1026
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:42 PM

It depends on the maturity of the child. My son is 11 years old and is a latch key kid. I work 8-5 so he is home alone for about 3 hours every day during the week. But he is mature enough to do that with. Ground rules just have to be set. As far as him leaving to go out, I think at 10 it is to young. If your out drinking and something does happen, then your not capable of taking care of the situation as quickly as you may need.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:45 PM

how long?

my 8 year old went home w my 12 year old for about 2.5 hours after school every day until i came from work, and i left them to run short errands as well.

most states actually do not have a concrete age.

just4ds10ee
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Most states do not have anything "written in stone". It depends on the maturity level of the child, if they understand what to do in an emergency, if it is day or night that they are left alone and how many hours they are left alone. Most states children under 13 are not to be left home alone at night....

lydi
by Lydi on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:41 PM

depends on the length of time left alone, the specific child and if both parents are ok with it. maybe there is a way you can get him to stop it or shorten the time the child is left alone.

MsLogansMommy
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:15 PM

It depends on the kid my neice or nephews absolutely fine they are very mature and responsible my dd HELL NO! this kid would burn down the house if i ran out to the mailbox lol but seriously I don't know if I will be leaving my little one home alone until she is old enough to vote

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)