Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Single mom going through colllege. Advice?

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:09 PM
  • 14 Replies

I am a completely single 23 year old mom. I'm due in July. And I'm trying to go back to school. It's very hard doing this alone and the father of my child just makes everything really heavy on me. I'm working 2 jobs and saving right now to be prepared.

I was just wondering if there were any single mothers in this forum that have gone through school and if there is any thing that universities/government offer to help single mothers?

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LauraMH
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I go to school and work full time. I get a PELL grant to help with tuition. When I go full time in about 2 years I will have to live off of student loans. If there is something out there that you find, please let me know bc I would love to know!

dawncs
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:59 PM

You will qualify for the Pell Grant and other income based financial aid based on your income. There is the work study program to which you can qualify for through the FAFSA form. You can learn more about it through http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/.

tyfry7496
by Janet on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this
No not will. She MAY. Pell Grants are not guaranteed. I'm a single mom and have not received them. It depends on how much the government makes available, how many people apply and when you apply.

OP: check out years websites for billions in grants and scholarships:

www.fastweb.com
www.scholarship.com

There is no specific government grants or programs for single moms that I have found.

Quoting dawncs:

You will qualify for the Pell Grant and other income based financial aid based on your income. There is the work study program to which you can qualify for through the FAFSA form. You can learn more about it through http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Patty24momof5
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM

like they said PELL GRANT.SCHOLARSHIPS OR OTHER- DON'T DO LOANS,AT LEAST I'M NOT. I can make it with my 5 kids single ,working fulltime ,and college full time so you shouldnt have a problem at all! NO WORRIES!

Gina_C
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:32 PM
I went to school for welding so I qualified for daycare assistance because I was in a technical program that was non-traditional for a woman. I forget the name of the program but check into it. And that was through the school. The best person to talk to I think would be your advisor or the financial aid counselor at school. Many schools offer assistance that is state funded as opposed to federally funded.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MoPain
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I'm a single mom of a 8 month old DD I just start school in January. I don't know what state you are in but I'm sure every state is different as far as university help I'm not sure but I do get help with daycare so I can attend school. It's called Workfirst I just have to prove to them that I'm in school certain hours and they cover my daycare costs also as far as financial help I would say sign up for TANF and food stamps not sure what your living situation is the TANF isn't much but it helps and depending on where you go to school is how much financial aid is available to you your school counselor should be able to help you get signed up for the right grants and loans good luck

hollinicole
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Single mom working full time and school full time, its a lot of late night but in the end will be worth it. do the fafsa to see if you can get pill and hope, I do.
sweettea1985
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Im 27, single mom to a 5 year old, and full time college student for my RN (graduate in april)... And work almost full time..
Msg me if u need support!
ChgIsGood2012
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Last year I went back and if I were smarter with my finances, I would still be in school. Anyway, you can do it. It may take you longer to complete your studies than a person w/o children, but you can finish and you will if you don't quit.

As far as help, I don't know what state you are in, I'm in Texas, and there are enough resources for single moms - most schools help with financial aid, or you can get student loans if you don't have access to grant money. Also go for scholarships. Talk with the financial aid counselor at your school to get leads on $$$

easinpc
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:30 PM

The Pell grant has helped me alot!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)