Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Back Child Support Pay

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:12 PM
  • 22 Replies

The father of my child owes Back Child Support and he filed his taxes and is receiving his refund 4 days from now. I was wondering when child support gets their back payments will it be posted onto my card like every other payment and how long will it take for them to do it? As soon as they receive it or what?? I also live in Ohio this is my first year recieving it

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ckmom2013
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I think my ex filed in like April and I didn't get his check until September or October. And yes I got in on my card.

mizz_jonez8956
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Holy hell it better not take that long or else we'll be evicted 

stormystar15
by Jessica on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:18 PM
It's just depends on how fast they work to get it to you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ckmom2013
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:20 PM

That's NJ that took that long...I hope yours doesnt take that long. He got a letter in the mail a few weeks after he filed saying that they would be taking his state and federal checks...but it still took months after that. 

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:21 PM
It is not immediate or automatic. You should call your state child support enforcement. They have to file with IRS to intercept it and it can take months to come through. I heard up to 6 months

Quoting mizz_jonez8956:

Holy hell it better not take that long or else we'll be evicted 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mizz_jonez8956
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Right I'm gonna talk with them tomorrow job center already messing me over I don't need this they didn't take time to take out his taxes

Gina_C
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:12 PM
In Texas it's automatic. My BD owes back support as well but since he wasn't paying every month they had already filed all the paperwork to garnish wages and intercept any refunds. However, I have no clue how long it will take. I would call your caseworker
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Also if you get any cash assistance the state will take it to pay back state first
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ckmom2013
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM

yEAH they did that to me. They gave his federal to the state and his state check to me...wasnt much, but at least I know I will be getting his checks for the next 2 or 3 years and can use the money whenever I get it

Quoting conniejo75:

Also if you get any cash assistance the state will take it to pay back state first

sunshine389142
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Here in IN its automatic if they owe a certain amount.  It can happen quickly or it could take until later in the fall like some of the others have said.  last year i got his in march....but he is not married.  i have heard that it can take longer if they have remarried because the new spouse can file something in case the file jointly.  i am not sure though.  basically though i wouldn't count on it anytime soon.  and here the CS division wouldnt have any information on how long it takes or when you will get it. 

Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)