Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Tween home alone?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:57 PM
  • 6 Replies
My son is going to be 12 years old soon. I am a single mom with no family here.. I also have a 5 year old son. I would like at some point to begin dating. Do you think it is acceptable for my 12 year old to watch my 5 year old if the 5 year old is asleep? It would obviously be at night while my youngest is sleeping, and I would never go more then a few minutes away from the home as I live in an area where everything is very close. My oldest is a mature kid, he has been latchkey since he was 10 and I have never had any issues. But I feel like him being alone for a couple hours while Im working is different then me going out while his brother is sleeping. So I was wondering everyones thoughts! Thanks!
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
youllneverknow
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Bump idk I only Have a three year old lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Your going out with a total stranger at night would not be good to leaving a five yr old home with the 12 yr old sib.  12 yr old can stay home alone if you choose to do so, finding another adult should watch 5 yr old even if he is going to be sleeping. JMO.

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:57 AM

You need to do what you feel is best.  Maybe have him take a Red Cross babysitting course first!  I took that when I was younger and was babysitting as soon I could and babysat for years!

steviechick
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:52 PM

The YMCA also offers babysitting courses.  I would sign your son up for that ASAP.  They are great classes and I think a very good tool for your son to learn.  When I was 12 I babysat a two year old.  Also, the 2 yr old lived next door.  I know that played a huge role in the mom actually allowing me to babysit in the first place.   I would think a 12 yr old is mature enough to watch his sibling that is 5.  It all depends on the maturity level of your son. 

victoriahearts
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I think PP are right have him take a course in first aid and babysitting so that he is prepared for anything, but I would also take into account whether your neigborhood is safe and if there are any neigbors that you could trust in case of an emergency that would help him.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I agree with the other moms.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)