Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Passport drama

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:11 AM
  • 15 Replies

I'm trying to get a passport for my son to travel and my ex-husband is giving me a hard time saying that he thinks our son is too young to travel. He won't give me an answer until his attorney gets back to him. My attorney said we could file a motion to go before the judge but I feel it's a waste of the courts time plus money. Our son will be 3 on the 15th and I'm not planning on kidnapping him lol. It would be for a week at a Beaches family resort. I will give him the itinerary and where we will be staying. I just feel like this is a control tactic because age is not a valid reason to deny him a passport. If I took him on a Disney cruise a passport would be needed because it goes into international waters. My ex-inlaws live a half hour from the Canadian border in upstate NY and go into Toronto frequently so that would be perfect if they wanted to take our son since he would need a passport. I'm just wondering everyone's thoughts on this.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
easinpc
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I'm sorry that you are having such a hard time getting his passport.  Hopefully he gets back to you soon and signs off on it.  Good luck!!

LauraMH
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:32 AM

It sounds to me like he is trying to control your life through your son. You should be able to get the passport to take your child on vacation unless he has a legitimate reason to fear for your son's safety. I wouldn't care if it a waste of the courts time. If he is causing trouble then you need to get help. If court is the only way to get help, then that is what you have to do.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Yes u need both parents signature or court order. My ex would never let my kids get a passport. No reason just he refused. It was not worth going to court over for us. Even though you may have honest intentions I see why this is required now a days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
owl0210
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Your ex is in the wrong too. I totally understand the need for both signatures do to parental kidnapping but I'm pretty sure I'm not moving to Jamaica lol. 

Quoting conniejo75:

Yes u need both parents signature or court order. My ex would never let my kids get a passport. No reason just he refused. It was not worth going to court over for us. Even though you may have honest intentions I see why this is required now a days.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM
He is legally in his rights to say his kids will not go out of the country. I probably would have done the same if roles were reversed honestly. Not even parental kidnapping but what if something happened and I couldn't getto my kids? I just decided vacationing in the US was fine and we would take a big trip once they graduated .
Oh and I was going to AK so still in US... but if driving, you have to go up through Canada. We could fly without passports.

Quoting owl0210:

Your ex is in the wrong too. I totally understand the need for both signatures do to parental kidnapping but I'm pretty sure I'm not moving to Jamaica lol. 

Quoting conniejo75:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I agee he is probably controlling you.  He jus sign it and away you go.  You gotta remember that big IF though/

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:38 PM

do they check custody orders when you travel? i hav never asked my kids dad permission for shit and never had problems but at the same time i havent travelled internationally.

owl0210
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:25 PM

The new law says that both parents need to apply in person but if one parent isn't available they can sign a consent form giving permission for the other parent to get the passport. The non-custodial parent signs the consent form with a copy of their photo ID and it needs to be notarized.  

Quoting faerie75:

do they check custody orders when you travel? i hav never asked my kids dad permission for shit and never had problems but at the same time i havent travelled internationally.

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:41 PM

oh i see. my kids went to Mexico with his parents a few years ago (i want to say 2007? 2008?) she owns houses there and goes for one week a month to collect rent and make repairs. anyhow they were coming back and they wouldnt let them bring my sons back!!! lol they said they needed a birth cert! i assume now it would be a passport... anyways i didnt panic, it was summer so no school, and she has a house there so they werent stranded. i had to express mail their birth certs to a PO box in yuma.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:30 PM
So how does that work if you have no idea where the other parent is?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)