Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

A will?????

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM
  • 22 Replies
Have any of you guys made a will for your kids?? Did you have trouble thinking of people to take care of your kids if something happened to you? My kids father has no contact with the kids so he would not be an option. Interested to hear your responses!
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brieri
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Nope.  Not even a funeral plan.  lol.

steviechick
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I need to make a will for my DD.  I have already told her that I want to be cremated.  Not sure where my ashes should be scattered though.  I have an estate (now), so I'd like to make sure she gets everything upon my untimely death.  I really need to get one done.

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I talked with my attorney about it and was told that even if I had a will stipulating where I wanted the kids placed, they would go to their dad unless something happened to him.

sid1083
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I've not made a will for my kids, but I've done one for myself. I have assets that need to be distributed as well as where I'd prefer the kids to go. Especially as a single mom, I don't want my kids to even potentially have to spend a day in foster care because I didn't take care of business.

The best advice I got was to think long & hard about your choice in guardians - don't choose someone solely because if you hadn't picked them, they'd be angry. Do right by your kids. You don't need to advertise your choice (except to the intended guardian(s)) and by the time your will is accessed, you'll be dead. The living will get over it and still love your kids regardless.

bleblanc9208
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Oddly enough i have an apointment tomorrow to discuss this with a lawyer. My Fiance and I are going on our honeymoon in June. We are very close to my family and for the past year his parents have not really had contact with us. Previously we broke up for a while, legally we have a court order still in effect. Therefore we must go to court to get rid of our court order. THEN get a will stating who would like to have guardianship of our son. No matter what in our state someone has to go to Probate to request guardianship and anyone can contest it but the WILL is a suggestion.
grneyedormom
by Kendra on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:04 PM
I have a will, it needs to be updated though. DD goes to her Dad but I have a guardian appointed for her in case he's incapacitated or dead too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom5150
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:19 PM
I need one. I hate that their dad would get them when I have them 99% of the time and my parents are a big part of their lives. I doubt he'd let them visit. Sucks. They are the recipients of my small life insurance. That's all I know.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ckmom2013
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

OMG I hope and pray my children are over 18 before I pass, but if now I have no clue who I would want them to go to. Definetly not there dad, sorry the way he was raised is very strange to me...and I'm not being racist. And I don't have a will or anything yet.

victoriahearts
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Yes I have a will, had one done up when I got pregnant with my son and had some changes done to it after I got divorced, if I were to pass away my child/ren would go to my ex , if my ex passed away before me, they would go to my one of my sisters.

biomom1437
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM

ya i've thought about it my dad suggested i ask my cosin adam if he and his girfriend would take my daughter if something happened to me but i'm not very close to adam  so i'm considering asking my  niece and her husband.  i know my parents can't take my daughter if something happened to me because they are both over 50.  when looking for someone that would take your kid if something happened to u, u should consider there age and how well u get along with them and are your values about the same.  just saying.   good luck.

Quoting lf1975:

Have any of you guys made a will for your kids?? Did you have trouble thinking of people to take care of your kids if something happened to you? My kids father has no contact with the kids so he would not be an option. Interested to hear your responses!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN