Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

CS offsetting refund to pay arrears AND current month's obligation???

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:45 PM
  • 26 Replies

Does anyone know, if you owe arrears in child support and they intercept your refund to pay your arrears, will they also pay that month's obligation as well? Basically our arrears will be paid with our refund, but they took out an extra 400-500 and I'm wondering where in the heck they get off taking more than we owe them?

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:10 AM
1 mom liked this
No they normally only the the arrears. Are you sure the arrears amount was correct? There is usually interest on top of it.
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:41 AM
I would imagine they would just take the back support.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:45 AM
2 moms liked this
No but in the past when my ex owed arrears, the IRS sent meh is entire refund. More than was owed. I call the IRS and child support to verify. It was mine. That was how it was done. They said I could give him the difference back but was not obligated to do so. I did NOT!! I considered it a gift and he was never thousand of dollars behind again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Welcome.  I'm not entirely sure, having not been in that situation, but this sounds correct.

Quoting tyfry7496:

No but in the past when my ex owed arrears, the IRS sent meh is entire refund. More than was owed. I call the IRS and child support to verify. It was mine. That was how it was done. They said I could give him the difference back but was not obligated to do so. I did NOT!! I considered it a gift and he was never thousand of dollars behind again.

Robsessed98
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 12:49 AM
I would assume they would only take arrears, but it also makes sense to take the current due as well. Is call the IRS if you need to know.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Skybabe
by Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this

So you wouldn't give him back HIS money that HE was due??? SMH. You single moms and your c.s, taking money that's not even yours.

Quoting tyfry7496:

EachNewBreath
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:05 AM
4 moms liked this

IRS said it was hers. Maybe he should have paid. IDK why people are so uptight about CS anyway. It is used for the child... so why should he be upset that she got a lil extra. Why are you on the single mothers forum?

Quoting Skybabe:

So you wouldn't give him back HIS money that HE was due??? SMH. You single moms and your c.s, taking money that's not even yours.

Quoting tyfry7496:

EachNewBreath
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:05 AM

Who would have! I am glad that you learned his lesson :D 

Quoting tyfry7496:

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Maybe interest owed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:12 AM

I'm a single mom too but it does not mean we have to agree when someone takes money that is not rightfully theirs. Some of the things I agree with on this board, others I do not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)