Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can i change my #?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM
  • 30 Replies
my sons father(my stbxh) and his girlfriend is threatening me and my son and herassing me.he is on the bc but has never seen or asked about ds(we are married so i put him on there thinking it would make things easier with court) and i dont see that changing.will i get in trouble for changing my #? We live in tennessee and havent been threw court yet if that matters
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mocking.Jay
by ★Krista★ on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM

You cannot get in trouble if they are harrassing you. Change your number. There should never be an obligation for you to keep the same number in the case of not being with the father. You are obligated to let him see his child, but you are NOT obligated to keep in contact with him. That is up to him if he wants that contact but from the sounds of it, he is abusing that privilege.

MarissaFlores
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I really think you should find a lawyer, & save any text message or voicemail that you get that makes you feel like you're being threatened. You have every right to protect your son & yourself. You could just get information from a lawyer & seek out your options & what to do. I'm saving every text I get from my ex. He is verbally abusive towards me so I know that he doesn't deserve to be around my baby after I give birth. Remember your rights as a mother & put your foot down because you deserve respect. I blocked my ex's number. So far life has been so much easier for me but I do plan on looking into taking away my ex's rights as a father. Just because he has that title doesn't mean he is gonna act like one. Take control & protect what's yours mama! (:

merinasmommy
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:50 PM
do i have to let him see our son until court?we go in april.he keeps threatening to hurt him

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

You cannot get in trouble if they are harrassing you. Change your number. There should never be an obligation for you to keep the same number in the case of not being with the father. You are obligated to let him see his child, but you are NOT obligated to keep in contact with him. That is up to him if he wants that contact but from the sounds of it, he is abusing that privilege.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raegan1221
by Raegan on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:52 PM

No...you won't get in trouble. I don't see how you could. Heck, my bf's dd's Mom changes her phone # just about every three weeks because her phones always get cut off geez. She's never gotten into trouble...thankfully SO has custody now so it's not as big of a deal to actually have her current #.

merinasmommy
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:53 PM
i have them all saved im going in the morning and getting an order of protection against him

Quoting MarissaFlores:

I really think you should find a lawyer, & save any text message or voicemail that you get that makes you feel like you're being threatened. You have every right to protect your son & yourself. You could just get information from a lawyer & seek out your options & what to do. I'm saving every text I get from my ex. He is verbally abusive towards me so I know that he doesn't deserve to be around my baby after I give birth. Remember your rights as a mother & put your foot down because you deserve respect. I blocked my ex's number. So far life has been so much easier for me but I do plan on looking into taking away my ex's rights as a father. Just because he has that title doesn't mean he is gonna act like one. Take control & protect what's yours mama! (:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyneedssleep
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Do you have the messages where he is threatening to hurt him? Take them to the police

Quoting merinasmommy:

do i have to let him see our son until court?we go in april.he keeps threatening to hurt him

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raegan1221
by Raegan on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:54 PM

You don't already have a custody agreement stating when he has visitation, is that correct? If not then no I wouldn't think you'd have to let him see your child especially if he's threatening to hurt him. That's terrible.

Quoting merinasmommy:

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

Faith, Hope & Love "I Will Have Faith in YOU, Hope For YOU To Come Home To Me & Love YOU More Every Day".
Mocking.Jay
by ★Krista★ on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Unfortunately, yes, you do. You have to unless there is proof he is already hurting him or has hurt him. But if you're scared, the best you can do is document everything he's saying, everything your son says. How old is your son? Is he old enough to talk? If not, just document the phone calls. Depending on your state and your laws, I would tell him the phone call is being recorded and that way he can't threaten you and if he does, it will not be used against you in court because depending on states, the only way it's against the law is if you don't notify the other party. When my ex's wife threatened me over the phone two years ago, I recorded her threats and was able to use that in court to get a restraining order.

Quoting merinasmommy:

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

Mocking.Jay
by ★Krista★ on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

And this. If there is no court order, your son, your decisions.

Quoting raegan1221:

You don't already have a custody agreement stating when he has visitation, is that correct? If not then no I wouldn't think you'd have to let him see your child especially if he's threatening to hurt him. That's terrible.

Quoting merinasmommy:

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

Mocking.Jay
by ★Krista★ on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Get this, but then after that, it's a lot of work because you have to report everytime he violates the order.

Quoting merinasmommy:

i have them all saved im going in the morning and getting an order of protection against him

Quoting MarissaFlores:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)