Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

So, I guess I don't have any actual, real-life friends any more...

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:40 AM
  • 14 Replies

They've been dropping like flies ever since I announced my pregnancy a little over a year and a half ago...  Family too, although that's not as surprising as they were never incredibly supportive to begin with.  As a grad student and single mom without a BD involved, I really don't have the time to find new friends or develop new friendships (or date at all for that matter, which I sometimes think might be kind of nice...) 

I would just like another adult to talk to once in a while...

Here's my plan (tell me if it sounds crazy):

I completely give up on the prospect of having any "real" friends.

I continue seeing this therapist I have been to a few times recently (she is a great listener, and very understanding) once every other week

I start seeing a new therapist soon, in addition to the first, just to have a different person to talk to and to get a different perspective (I will see this person on the weeks I don't see the other one)

I post to this (or other) forums when I feel like chatting / connecting / venting / etc...

That's it.  Any thoughts?

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cristalf060812
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:49 AM
I know how you feel I have no real friends the one I did have up and moved to taxes.. I lost all my friends not to long after I found out I was pregnant in high school a little over 7yrs ago.. I just joined this cafe mom couple months ago.. here lately I been venting alot.. I have no one to talk to or who I can trust.. I don't go out I spend ask my time with my kids..I keep telling myself things have to get better just got to believe.. If you ever wasn't to talk you can message me..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pianokisses
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:37 AM

I think as a parent you tend to lose friends especially if they dont have kids. I have no one to hang with and if I do I have to bring my kids smh. They dont relate to anything you talk about. Ive accepted it though. I am trying to move away from everyone anyway because they all serve no purpose in my life

CaptainCookie
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:54 AM

I'm right there with you, hon. I had a pretty good amount of friends but it seems since I announced my split with the hubby, they;ve scattered. It's always nice to know who you're real friends are. Just wish I had had more real friends.

EachNewBreath
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:43 AM

Try blogging! It has really helped me! And it helps to get on a blog roll so that way you can connect with other moms dealing with the same issues. 

IDK why it is people stop being our friends. Its a baby not a diease

GwennasMom
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Thank you for all of your replies.  I'm sorry to hear that so many others are experiencing similar situations.  I haven't tried blogging - I could see how that might be helpful, but I'm afraid I wouldn't know how to get started and don't really have the time, etc.  Any other suggestions on how people deal with feeling lonely / isolated???

efarrugia
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this

i have  handful of friends of various ages but still felt lonely. i had joined a church   a few months ago and still felt like an outsider. but then was asked to join a  group. so while  my son is in his group, i sit in mine. im making friends, who are are very supportive. just keep yourself open and new friends will come into your life. mommy and me activities are a good way to meet people.

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:39 PM

IT's happened to me through the years :(

easinpc
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Welcome & hugs!!

deltathree
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I hear ya.  Been there & basically do the same thing for social time.  I have 1 good friend to really talk to.  so sorry - hugs.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Welcome! I lost all of mine but 1 after I had DS I made a new friend after but that's about it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN