Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Recently single & need advise on finding a place...edited in purple

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM
  • 14 Replies

I recently left my husband & now I'm looking for a place that I can afford for myself & 2 girls.  I make around $1500/month.  I've looked at a few apts.  1 being around $775/month with all utilities paid except electric.  This place also provides indoor pool, fitness center, indoor playground, rooftop patio/grill area & an outdoor movie screen (on the roof).  & there's security access everywhere inside the building.  The other places I've looked at are around $450-$500/month, but no utilities are included.  I've been running the numbers over & over, but it seems like they'd be about the same every month.  I like the idea of all of the amenities, because we'd atleast be able to get out of the apt & do something fun even if it's still at the apt building.  Any opinions??? 

Also, I was considering downgrading to a 1 bedroom apt.  I've been looking at 2 bedrooms because of the girls.  But it would be cheaper with just a 1 bedroom & it would be temporary.  Any thoughts on this?  My girls are 6 & 3.  We could share a room or I could sleep in the living room.  My concern is how it will look in court during the divorce/custody battle.  I have a feeling my ex would use this against me. 

Thanks!!! 

I'm concerned about the background check...mainly the credit check for a place.  My ex has competely ruined my credit.  He recently bought a vehicle before I left that I can't afford & now my house is being forclosed on because he didn't pay the mortgage when he told me he was handling it.  I just got a letter saying they were having a forclosure sale in the middle of March.  & since my ex moved out & changed his address...all of the bills in his name are being sent to him (I'm assuming) & I don't even know if he's paying them....highly doubtful!!  So frustrated!!!!  How much do they look at your credit when you apply for an apt??? 

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GwennasMom
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I like the one with all the ammenities, ESPECIALLY the security feature!  However, I don't know about your other expenses - that sounds like a significant portion of your monthly income.  But, hopefully you will be getting child support soon that will offset some of that cost?  I think a 1 bedroom would be fine for a while just to make everything work out better financially in the short term, and I honestly don't see how your ex could hold that against you (unless he is already paying alimony / child support).  You do what you have to do.  Especially if you are the one willing to sleep in the living room and give your girls the bedroom - I don't see a problem with it, personally.

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:03 PM

My choice would be the place that includes the amenities, it sounds like a good deal.  With 2 kids though, I would not downgrade to a 1 bedroom apartment, you'll just be too crowded and uncomfortable.  And, you're right, your ex would probably try to use that against you.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I would check and make sure that you'd even be able to rent a 1 bedroom with 3 people living there.  I know some places have rules/laws about that so you may not even be able to.  I agree with the 1st mom though, I'd go with the secured entry location that has most of the utilities included.  Can you check and see what the average electric bill is there and what all in the apt is run off electric?

brieri
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Wow! in either case the prices are wonderful!  with that said, a two bedroom is better than 1 bedroom, for a variety reasons.  However, I don't know how much your into all of the amenties that are in option 1 with exception of secuurity,  that's something you have to think about - keep looking and you may find a better place for just the same price for larger apt floor plan or a little less a, keeping in mind the security issues that you like the most. 

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:39 PM
I'd go with the first because of the security. If you don't mind the couch a 1 bedroom would work but how much different is the cost?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KT1525
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:57 PM
This is just my opinion. I have worked for several domestic attorneys and you need to steer clear of the one bedroom for now. If your ex really wanted to push and had a good Attorney that could create an issue for you. Judges like to see children have their own room or at the very least their own bed in a "private area" (not the living room). I understand how it might not be a big deal to share a bed or a room to you, it wouldn't be to me either, but sometimes a judge will look at that when they assign residential custody. Just my opinion, good luck hun. It's hard but you will be OK. I've been through it too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
flprincessmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:37 AM

In my opinion I would go with the 2 bedroom.....the security feature is a MAJOR plus && from what I have heard from an aunt who went through a divorce & custody battle, the judge requires them to have a bedroom....she has a girl & boy so the judge required separate rooms for each.....

ImaSoulMom
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Your daughters are still young. I would get a futon or sofa bed for myself and fix up the room for the kids. The children would have their own space. If you think the ex might try to use that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:10 AM
Yes you can. 3 would be max for 1 bedroom. It is 2 per room plus 1... 2 bedroom max is 5, etc. I had my boys in bedroom and I slept in the living room. My ex tried to bring it up in court and judge asked him if kids were fed, clothed, had a bed... then I was not doing anything wrong. I now have 2 bedrooms but my son converted dining room area into a bedroom

Quoting easinpc:

I would check and make sure that you'd even be able to rent a 1 bedroom with 3 people living there.  I know some places have rules/laws about that so you may not even be able to.  I agree with the 1st mom though, I'd go with the secured entry location that has most of the utilities included.  Can you check and see what the average electric bill is there and what all in the apt is run off electric?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
divinemomma
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Try looking with places using a real estate agent. Write al letter explaning you credit issues. You can even have it posted to your credit report.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)