Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Recently single & need advise on finding a place...edited in purple

Posted by   + Show Post

I recently left my husband & now I'm looking for a place that I can afford for myself & 2 girls.  I make around $1500/month.  I've looked at a few apts.  1 being around $775/month with all utilities paid except electric.  This place also provides indoor pool, fitness center, indoor playground, rooftop patio/grill area & an outdoor movie screen (on the roof).  & there's security access everywhere inside the building.  The other places I've looked at are around $450-$500/month, but no utilities are included.  I've been running the numbers over & over, but it seems like they'd be about the same every month.  I like the idea of all of the amenities, because we'd atleast be able to get out of the apt & do something fun even if it's still at the apt building.  Any opinions??? 

Also, I was considering downgrading to a 1 bedroom apt.  I've been looking at 2 bedrooms because of the girls.  But it would be cheaper with just a 1 bedroom & it would be temporary.  Any thoughts on this?  My girls are 6 & 3.  We could share a room or I could sleep in the living room.  My concern is how it will look in court during the divorce/custody battle.  I have a feeling my ex would use this against me. 

Thanks!!! 

I'm concerned about the background check...mainly the credit check for a place.  My ex has competely ruined my credit.  He recently bought a vehicle before I left that I can't afford & now my house is being forclosed on because he didn't pay the mortgage when he told me he was handling it.  I just got a letter saying they were having a forclosure sale in the middle of March.  & since my ex moved out & changed his address...all of the bills in his name are being sent to him (I'm assuming) & I don't even know if he's paying them....highly doubtful!!  So frustrated!!!!  How much do they look at your credit when you apply for an apt??? 

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Replies (11-14):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Be honest with them let them know what the situation was that made your credit the way it is they may make an exception
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
easinpc
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Some do and some don't. Just ask them and be upfront and honest about it.
Robsessed98
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Just figure out which is most affordable and start out going the cheapest but still safe route. You can upgrade when you can afford it. Idk how close they look at your credit, but the current repo and foreclosure will probably hurt you. Explain the situation and hope they will overlook it and give you a chance. Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GoldenLinds
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Sometimes the best way to handle bad cresit is to be upfront and offer a double security deposit. I know its a lot of money but you will be less of a risk from that perspective.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)