Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I Crazy? Kids, work, school, life......

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:59 PM
  • 7 Replies
Hello. I am a 33 year old single mom of two boys. I have a 9 year old and a 7 month old. I currently work in the legal field but I have a strong desire to be in healthcare. I work Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm. The only real way to get into the field I want to be in is to go back to school. I found a program near my house but class is from 6pm-10pm Monday-Friday. I have always believed that people should do what they love for a living and I love people. I am so motivated and determined to make my dre come true. BUT..... Is it wrong for me to leave my boys to work on my education/career? I'm not getting any younger but I worry that I will miss out of seeing them grow. One positive is that it is only a 10 month program. But still. It breaks my heart to think about not seeing them but for a few hours every morning and on weekends. But it also breaks my heart to give up on my career and settle for what I am doing now.

Any suggestions? Any thoughts? Any moms ever been in this situation? If so, what did you chose to do and are you ok with your decision?

Thank you in advance for any and all replies!!
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
singlemama0905
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:02 PM
2 moms liked this
After I had my son I had to work 70+ hours a week so I rarely saw him. Personally, I'd hold off some. I don't have many regrets in my life, but I really regret having to work so much and missing so much of my son's life. I can never get that time back. Plus I was soo exhausted when I did have free time that it was almost inpossible to really relax and enjoy time with him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kathyw904
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Thank you. I hate having regrets. I go back and forth with my decision. On one hand I think the 10 months will fly by and on the other hand I know how much can change in 10 months.
GoldenLinds
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:13 PM
2 moms liked this
I think if it were me I'd wait a year. I would hate missing all those milestones in the first year and a half. Your older child will undersand no matter what but I think that one year can make a big difference in how it impacts his future. Seeing you work will really build his respect for you and his own education and goals. That's just me though.
wigglesmomma22
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I say if its only ten months just get it over with.  Your yongest is so young that he probably won't remember it.  You might miss some things with him, but you will gain so much more with him later down the line when he will remember you being there.  Just my thoughts.  Good luck.

LilShamrock
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:50 AM
2 moms liked this
If its a benefit to increase your education where you receive an actual degree, I.e. Associates or Bachelors degrees, then by all means, go for it. I myself am Leary of schools that offer "certificates".

If you do opt to enroll in the program, be sure to ask them about their accreditation, graduate rate and job placement rate which will give you a clear indicator just how good the program is.

Trust me, I believe in the value of an education. For the past 5 years, 10 months I have been pursuing a B.S. in Business Admin with a minor in Human Resources, all the while raising the kiddo and working a ft and pt job! I'm set to graduate in May!!

Best of luck to you...
Sham
tyfry7496
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:35 AM
2 moms liked this
Exactly!! 10 months is a short amount of time. It also shows your children that education is important no matter what.

Quoting wigglesmomma22:

I say if its only ten months just get it over with.  Your yongest is so young that he probably won't remember it.  You might miss some things with him, but you will gain so much more with him later down the line when he will remember you being there.  Just my thoughts.  Good luck.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kathyw904
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you ladies.  I have been going back and forth and back again with this decision.  I have researched the program and it is accredited and the school is a testing site so I can become certified after graduation.  I think what is pushing me is that it is ONLY 10 months but at the same time I think about how much growing my little guy has done in the last 7 months and worry I will miss too much.  My 9 year old is all for it.  He wants mommy to be happy.  When I told him last night that I might postpone it he said "Why mom" LOL.  He knows that it is something that I talk about all the time and really have a desire to do.  He also knows that my current job is very frustrating.  It is hard being in a position that your heart simply isn't in to!

Classes don't start until the end of April so I still have some time to think and ponder over things.

Thank you so much for your replies!!!!!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)