Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Who claims your child, father is active

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:29 AM
  • 52 Replies
1 mom liked this
We have a three year old. His father sees him a couple times a week. His dad doesn't make much $. But he makes sure to give me half the daycare money each week. We switch buying his milk and pull-ups and snacks. I claim my son on my taxes. Always have since I pay for 90% of his stuff other than daycare. His dad asked me why do I claim him? Simple. He lives with me and I pay for almost everything. I use the daycare credit and pay the daycare ahead so we don't have to pay for that month. And I take a chunk of that tax return money and put it in his savings/college fund. It's not like I use the $ for me. He asked if he would be able to claim him in the future, if he was more financially secure. I said no. His friends switch who claims their kids and split the $ he said. What if I'm in a jam, will u give me the $ he asked. No. I told him that was our son's $. If I'm in a jam I rely on credit cards or do without. Am I being unreasonable? I don't think so. He wants the $ for him. I put the $ for my son's savings. I will probably always make more than him. And my son will probably always live mostly with me. Do you claim your child?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lextjmom0709
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:35 AM
4 moms liked this
I claim both my kids and dare their father to ask. He never helps me with child support but wanted to claim them for his new son
grneyedormom
by Kendra on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I do. It's in my custody papers. Might want to consider getting legal custody established and include wording about who claims the child for tax purposes.
pianokisses
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:37 AM
I always claim my kids and always will. They barely see him and cs isnt paid. Also they live with me. I'd let my mom claim them if situations changed because Im scared he will use my sons social for something. They have the same name.
pianokisses
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:39 AM
And I am not splitting anything when I keep a job and he doesnt.
lextjmom0709
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Do we have the same father for our kids

Quoting pianokisses:

amarie85
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Sounds perfectly reasonable that you claim him. I get child support through the courts so he claims one and I claim the other. But it sounds like, while he's responsiible, you don't have an official child support order. What if he were to stop paying you?

pianokisses
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:14 AM
I hope not. I dont know what he would do with more children. We almost had a third...I really wouldve been shit out of luck.

Quoting lextjmom0709:

Quoting pianokisses:

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Irs guidelines is whoever child lives with primarily. Only time u need to put it in custody agreement is if you are alternating years or something different. If you have exactly 50/50 you have to include it or else neither one can claim primary residence

Quoting grneyedormom:

I do. It's in my custody papers. Might want to consider getting legal custody established and include wording about who claims the child for tax purposes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grneyedormom
by Kendra on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:19 AM
That may be so, however having legal custody established and certain things like whom claims the child on taxes, visitation and all of the other pertinent things some parent gift over easier to work through. Especially taxes, when some NCP claim the child and the CP has to prove that their have the right to claim while the other parent does not. That's why my statement was " might want to consider." Not "you need to file."

Quoting conniejo75:

Irs guidelines is whoever child lives with primarily. Only time u need to put it in custody agreement is if you are alternating years or something different. If you have exactly 50/50 you have to include it or else neither one can claim primary residence

Quoting grneyedormom:

lextjmom0709
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Mine has a total of 7 kids with 5 different mamas

Quoting pianokisses:

I hope not. I dont know what he would do with more children. We almost had a third...I really wouldve been shit out of luck.

Quoting lextjmom0709:

Quoting pianokisses:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN