Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

My mom enforcing my kids to call my step-father grandpa

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:17 PM
  • 7 Replies

The bad part about it is, I hardly even know him. I'm not even sure how to take it, but in the cards she sends, she writes from nana and grandpa. I know that he is family because she did re-marry, but they got married long after she moved out of state, and has not been in touch much. Maybe calls once or twice a year, if she needs something. Barely even calls the kids.

I think it would be a different story if I got to know him better. But to me, he is just a stranger that my mom married. Maybe its not really a big deal, but it just seems akward to me. My dad is not that much more active either which makes it even harder. My three kids are all under the age of seven, so its hard to explain to them who is who, especially when neither of my parents keep in contact much.

Any input?

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:24 PM
2 moms liked this
My kids call my step dad grandpa... no biggie. I call him by his first name
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell your kids to do what they feel is most comfortable 

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:04 PM

What do the kids think?  I'd simply let them make up their own minds, kwim?

Serenitymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I'm not sure, I haven't really asked because I didn't want to make a big deal about it, despite it feeling akward to me. They usually just call him by his name because of when they were dating, and my mom used to sign the cards with nana then her husbands name, but has recently changed that. I guess I could just leave it to them, but I think my mom will want to enforce him being called grandpa. *sigh*

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

What do the kids think?  I'd simply let them make up their own minds, kwim?

steviechick
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a bio father and a step-dad.  My daughter calls them both by different names so she can remember who we are talking about.  She calls my dad 'Papaw' and my step-dad 'Ompa'.  Both men have been fathers to me in their own way. 

In your case, if you feel that your kids should call them by his first name then let them decide.  If you mom or step-dad have a problem with that then just tell them simply that your kids perfer to call your step-dad by his name as you have a father that has the title of 'Grandpa'.  Until there is a difference in their relationship, does it really matter what name they use?  

deltathree
by Gold Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Quoting Mommyto2LilMen:

Tell your kids to do what they feel is most comfortable 

Oliviasmom72
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this

How about adding his first name to Grandpa, aka Grandpa Steve. I am a step grandma and my grand daughter called me Grandma Kim Kim.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)