Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Legal aid

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:32 PM
  • 14 Replies

Have any of you used legal aid attorneys? I really need to go back to court ASAP to modify my custody order can't afford an attorney. During my divorce my parents paid about $8000 and I paid about $2000-3000. There is no way I could afford anywhere near that again. I was going to look into legal aid but am worried about the quality of representation I will get. I'm in Missouri (around St. Louis) if that makes a difference.

If anyone has experience or advice it would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:39 PM
In sorry no clue the only thing I can think is they will have a bigger case load so you may not get as much attention. Better to have someone than nobody
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Morrigan333
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this

i think legal aid only does certain kinds of cases and FAMILY LAw (which is what you'd need) is NOT the kind they serve. only civil and criminal

Musiq_Junkie
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:31 PM

*Bump* I have no clue but hope u can get an answer soon :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:35 PM
I was going to say the same thing. At least in my state there are no such thing for family law unless the judge appoints a lawyer for the child

Quoting Morrigan333:

i think legal aid only does certain kinds of cases and FAMILY LAw (which is what you'd need) is NOT the kind they serve. only civil and criminal

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Legal aid is swamped with cases and their resources are very limited. generally they deal with abuse cases only. If you can get them to help you then great otherwise you can see about filing on your own. Why are you wanting to modify your custody order? I doubt legal aid will extend its resources just to modify an order but doesnt hurt to ask.

LauraMH
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:35 PM

My ex husband was abusive to me and it was not taken seriously in our divorce case. I was given legal custody but we were given joint physical. As I tried to get across during our original case, the kids spending so much time with him is very detrimental to them.

My son is afraid of his fathers temper and has been acting out at school. He does not want to go to his dad's house and has been hidingin classrooms when it is time to go home with him. There was an incident where his teacher raised her voice and ds started to cry, got into the fetal position on the floor and wouldn't move for 30 mins. He just laid there and cried, when he finally talked all he said was "my dad yells like that". There have been several other incidences at school as well as at his dads home. There was one night where ex got into a huge fight with his parents and he was throwing things around the house, ripping things out of my sons hands, screaming and so on. When I go there, the kids where hiding in the basement bathroom. Again, this is not the only incident. He also does not give our DD her meds or acknowledge that she is sick at all. His behavior keeps getting worse and I fear for my kids when they are with him. I finally feel that I have enough evidence (again, much more than listed here) to go back and have it modified but I do not have the money an attorney would charge to do that.

I do not want to wait until something happens to my kids. I didn't know how legal aid worked though and I thought I would see if anyone had experience. Thank you for the advice though. I may have to take out a loan to pay my lawyer. Do you know how to go about filing without a lawyer?

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

Legal aid is swamped with cases and their resources are very limited. generally they deal with abuse cases only. If you can get them to help you then great otherwise you can see about filing on your own. Why are you wanting to modify your custody order? I doubt legal aid will extend its resources just to modify an order but doesnt hurt to ask.

twinmom719
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:49 AM
1 mom liked this

It never hurts to apply, and certain cases are moved up in priority if the situation is severe, like it sounds like yours is.  I used legal aid when I first seperated from my ex because he had well-documented anger management issues, and is from another country, so there was a risk of international abduction.  I got put on the high-priority list because of that.  Basically, if you show that your kids are in some immenent danger, then I think you have a good shot.  And the legal representation was top-notch.  My lawyer was great and went into legal aid to help people and make a difference for kids, so I would be open-minded about it.  

squishsmom
by Ali on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

You should call CPS and start a case that way so it is documented with them, I'm surprised the school hasn't done something already.. I'm not sure about legal aid but I hope you get what you and your children need ASAP

Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:48 PM

CPS is not going to get involved unless the kids are being abused or neglected. emotional abuse is very hard to prove. Even if you got sole custody, Dad is still going to get visits. It is going to be VERY difficult to stop visits if that is what you are trying to do. You might have to hire a therapist or child psychologist and start taking the boy to counselling. Then it is possible you can use any recommendations by them to change visits. Almost every court has a self help/law librrary or family court fascilitator. Start with them. I do not know how it works in MO but where I am the courts are very pro per friendly and there are lots of resources. Not all states though are like that. Good luck.

nermall1102
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Hi sweety, sorry to hear that you are having to go through this. Try legal action, they might be in ur state. Also try About the Children..... its a non profit group and they help woth this type of stuff. They r not lawyers persay but they can draw up your papers, give you guidance etc. I think all they charge is like $100.00 flat rate for services. You can google them and i believe it will come right up. I think google about the children org. I hope this helps. Also feel free to messege me. I might be able to offer more resource ideas. Ill look in my resource etc stuff. But this one i meantioned was forst one to pop up in my head.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN