Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

housing question.

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:56 PM
  • 10 Replies
Does it matter that I don't have child support? My only income right now is what my ex is giving me but we don't want to go through the child support system. He makes me money orders as proof that he's giving me each month which is what they told us to do. Will it affect it in any way? I'm going tomorrow to turn in the pre application and I hadn't thought about this factor.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Morrigan333
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I was told that any money that was given (outside of a courtc order for child support) was considered a GIFT. Don't know how that would relate in a housing question.

lizz08
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 6:57 PM
They told us different. They didn't say anything bout it being a gift. Because it's proof he's helping support his children. I just don't want to be sent to child support and idk if applying for housing will make me go through the process.
foevame36
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:10 PM

You will just need to provide some sort of proof that those payments are regular and continuous so that they can document it. If this is for government housing, you may not even be required to list it.

lizz08
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:30 PM
thank you. This makes sense.

Quoting foevame36:

You will just need to provide some sort of proof that those payments are regular and continuous so that they can document it. If this is for government housing, you may not even be required to list it.

Oliviasmom72
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:44 PM

If he pays you and you accept the money as child support, then you can count that as child support. It is not necessarily a gift esp. if he happens to write child support on the MO. He is actually ok for giving you money without a court order, many guys do not do that.

flprincessmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Are you talking about housing as in the projects or housing as in section 8?  In my personal experience if it is something that he pays on a regular basis then they will count it as household income & use it to budget your costs......they will want proof as to how you are paying your bills...so if you have other income, then I would not say anything...as long as you make enough to pay your bills then whatever BD gives you is extra

tml0521
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I was a clerk at a HA, a child support order is not required. Juat have those mo and hiscontact info for verification
sid1083
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:13 AM
You could list it, but if that's your only source of income, they may be hesitant. Too often the support money stops for some reason or another and they want a more secure income, as in a steady job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
queenb87
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Housing will not make you go thru child support court or anything. It's not their place. Only welfare could do that. And if its not a guarenteed amount that you can really prove I don't think you have to claim it. And if you do and he stopped paying you would just have to show them proof the payments stopped and that day your rent would go down or away completely.

Quoting lizz08:

They told us different. They didn't say anything bout it being a gift. Because it's proof he's helping support his children. I just don't want to be sent to child support and idk if applying for housing will make me go through the process.

ambermario4ever
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Since you have no leagal agreement then he could stop giving you money at any time. So yes it will affect you getting a place to live. You have to have steady income and you don't. But good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)