Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

vacations and custody for and infant??

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:02 AM
  • 11 Replies

how does a judge decide when a baby can go on vacation with dad ...not that we want her too but its going to come soon so how is it decided???

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brieri
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Don't you want to take baby on vacation sometime.? That's how its decided. 

steviechick
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:58 PM

During the custody portion of the divorce proceedings or if you both sign a divorce agreement you (as parents) decide who gets full custody of the child.  Normally, it's the mom that gets full custody unless she's unfit and she only gets visitation rights.  If one of the parents wants to take the child for vacation that is decided during the custody proceedings.  The judge can't make that decision for you.  It has to be agreed upon between the two parties.  So, if the dad wants the kids for the month of June or July, the mother would have to agree to that much time allowed.  Or, if the dad (or mom) wants to take the kids on vacation for two weeks or one week, the one parent would have to agree to the time allotted for that parent. Most parents want to split up the summer with their kids and allow each one-two weeks vacation. I see no problem with that since there are two full months of summer before school starts.  I can't think of any reason why a judge would decide who gets what kind of vacation with their child unless it's at the same time.  But, again, that would have to be agreed upon by the parents.

3grls1wildboy
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:32 PM

yes we want to go on vacation but baby will only be 6 months this summer and he wants to try to gey 2 weeks vacation w her shes still going to be breastfeeding so she can go with mom this summer but not dad how would that be set up thrugh custody

Quoting brieri:

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:41 PM
My ex gets 1 week in the summer with the kids. As for s bf baby, I'm not sure. DS2 could not go on overnight visitations til he was 1.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:34 PM
You honestly should call legal aid w this stuff. All states and cases are different.
brieri
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Since you all want to go on vacation  this summer, depending on what you say in court about vacation for the dad may go against you if you try to take it away from him.  Just because a child is being breastfed.  A mother could say she is breastfeeding through 5 yrs of age - but most stop at 1 or 2 yrs.  There are other ways of child being fed for that period of time when in dad's care for a two week vacation.  Some babies at 6 months and up are already on solids.  Consult with a lawyer/legal aid person to get in court documents and take the issue to court is your best interest.

Quoting 3grls1wildboy:

yes we want to go on vacation but baby will only be 6 months this summer and he wants to try to gey 2 weeks vacation w her shes still going to be breastfeeding so she can go with mom this summer but not dad how would that be set up thrugh custody

Quoting brieri:

my4loves4
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Since your still breastfeeding, i'd say no. But when the babys done breastfeeding, then you should. We have this problem with my DH ex, She never lets us take his daughter on vacation with us. We only leave for a week, and would love for her to come but she never allows it. We have her brother and sister so we just feel like its the right thing to do to bring her with. So the kids understand their all equal. But its up to the mother. tTe courts usually just deal with the basics, and leave the "extra time" like vacations and holidays up to the parents to work out.

Quoting 3grls1wildboy:

Quoting brieri:

3grls1wildboy
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:12 AM

it would only be this summer next summer and there after is fine ..but if they dont put it in custody agreement then nothing to worry about ..i was just wandering how it worked thanks

Robsessed98
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:45 AM
It should have been in your custody order. The bd is normally given a specific amount of time other than normal visitation (mine is2 weeks twice a year).
3grls1wildboy
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:28 AM

custody is just beginning so theres nothing yet ..did u 2 agree to custody order or does judge do it ?

Quoting Robsessed98:

It should have been in your custody order. The bd is normally given a specific amount of time other than normal visitation (mine is2 weeks twice a year).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)