Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Managing Life as a single mom

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM
  • 11 Replies

I was wondering you guys could list some tips that you use to "manage" everything as a single mom.  Some areas I would like tips in are....

House cleaning- is seems my house is ALWAYS a mess.  I HATE having unexpected guests because I'm embarrassed

Finances- I don't think if even need to explain this one

Dinners-this one I actually have under control very well.  One week out of the month every night I make the recipe x4 and freeze the other three.  It makes dinner time the rest of the month simple.  Or I have been known to spend a weekend cooking and freezing.  It is cheaper and it makes clean up SO much easier.  But other tips are def welcomed...

Social life- all of my friends are married women with kids.  This website is nice but I would really like friends to meet up with or have playdates with or workout with which leads me to

Exercise- ....

Thanks!

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JW0618
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I would suggest writing out a schedule. Not only will it help you get things done but you can see how much time you actually have. I wrote one out recently, and I have way more time than I thought. While I don't always feel like doing it, I know I have the time for it. One idea is to clean one room every day - pick up, sweep/vacuum, mop, dust, etc. You could clean the bathroom while the kiddos are taking a bath. Exercise 2-3 times a week instead of trying to do it every single day. Keep the kitchen clean and do 1 load of laundry every day. HTH!

breebree04
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 12:26 PM

When my kids were younger (they are old enough to help out now) I would focus on the main areas of the house incase company came over, living room, kitchen, and bathroom. You can close the doors to the rest of the rooms if anyone shows up. Try to do this when they nap or pre occupy them with a game/toys/tv in one area while you clean. I also have the same problem with friends so dont have much advice there but I like your dinner plan. I may try doing that sometimes, there are some days when I just dont have time to cook.

jenmomx3
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Housecleaning_ clean a little everyday, The most important rooms in my house are the bathroom, kitchen, living room...I make sure that those are at least picked up if I don't do anything else...I vacuum the living room every day..thats as far as most people go anyway.

Finances- do the best you can and keep your head up.

Socialize and Exercise--nothing right now 'cause it cold, but head to the park when it warms up!

I skipped dinners cause I cook everyday.....I forget to take things out of the freezer so I usually end up stopping at the grocery store on the way home from work.

cholita1978
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Exercise; Do you have a game system  (xbox, or wii) dd who is 5 and I bought a dance game, and almost everyday after school we put it on and dance like 5 to 6 songs (that's over 400 calories right there) I know I look very silly doing it, but only dd is watching :-)

brieri
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Hi and welcome to the group.

House cleaning.  Clean the rooms where your guests will be entertained.  Do a quick clean/sweep of the rest of house and always have baskets in all rooms for those toys the children play with. 

The other suggestions you have, are right on!

steviechick
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Great ideas, ladies!

I clean only the rooms that I occupy.  And, since my friends come over and stay in the living room I keep it vacuumed and dusted.  I do this at least twice a week.  I have a dog so perhaps that's why I do it so much.  Vacuuming only takes a few mintues of your time.  You can do this while your baby sits in her swing (I did).  Dusting, again, takes only a few minutes.  Keep the toys in a nice decorative basket every night.  And, when you have friends that want to come over you can hide that stuff in either your kids' room or simply in the basket (I did).  Do your dishes every other day.  Who cares if the sink is full of a few dishes?  I would clean them once the sink gets full.  If you have friends that pop up, put the dishes in the dishwasher. 

Finances can be easily monitored if you stay on a budget.  Only shop for the food you will be eating that week or a few days.  That way you don't throw away that much food.  Make enough one night and pre-heat the next time.  Buy items on sale or '2 for' sales.  Pay your bills first then put the rest in savings.  Go to consignment shops or garage sales for items.  You always find a bargain.

Your social life depends on how much you want to get out of the house.  There are plenty of churches to seek.  They have nursuries and playrooms while you can attend service.  Some churches even have singles rooms for bible study.  Volunteer if you can.  Join a gym.  They, too, have playrooms for your kids.  You need to find time for yourself and venture out more often to a bookstore or the library.  Perhaps they have playdates and upcoming reading dates for kids.  Also, when the weather gets nicer, grab that stroller and go walking or running.  I have very few friends myself.  I have joined clubs and organizations that I am interested in.  I keep busy that way.  My DD is in college, so I rarely see her.  I try and spend as much time I as can with her.  I also go to church on Saturday nights.  They have all kinds of volunteers working there and it's a great way to meet new people. 

Exercising is imporant.  Anyway  you can do it, I would do it.  Even if that means just going out for a walk.  You will feel good about yourself, get fresh air and stay healthy.  Perhaps you can look into joining a local gym.  I hear that some memberships are as low as $15/month.

Musiq_Junkie
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:18 PM
For cooking, u can use a crock pot. It saves down on a lot of time! For exercise I use the wii fit, so i dont have to go out to the gym & can do it while dd is in her play pen...im still working on the keeping my house clean part lol!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
biomom1437
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:05 AM

as for the cooking i buy the hamburger helpers u can get them in chicken and tuna also.  and cook one it usually last a day and a half.  i buy canned vegetables and canned fruit.  as far a keeping the house clean rite now thats almost impossible i pick up the living room when my daughter goes to bed and the next day she drags her diaper, toys and clothes back into the living room.  when people come over i tell them u try my life 4 a day.  i vacuum about twice a week thats all the energy i have for that.  as for exersise i go out with my daughter in the stroller on nice days here in michigan thats about once a week. can't wait until this snow is gone. don't have much advice on finanaces because i pay my bills with money orders because i have a hard time balancing a check book.  math was never my strong point.  but it works ok for me.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:12 AM

House cleaning every day I focus on a different room it's a rotating thing on my days off i feel like i'm constantly doing dishes

Finances I don't eat out and got memberships to a couple local childrens museums for "free" activities for us to do on the weekends

food I do about what you do

Social life-n/a lol

excercise-I walk on my lunch break

CafeMom Tickers

Robsessed98
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:12 PM
You just have to figure out what works best for you. I tried planning and scheduling at first for a while. After many years and lots of experience, I finally figured out that the best way it worked for me was by winging it day by day. Of course there were certain things that were always consistent for the kids sake (dinnertime, bath before regular bedtime, etc) but everything else just happened as it happened. Must have worked because I survived raising two kids with my sanity somewhat intact and the girls are pretty normal too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN