Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Tantrums by my 5 year old....

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:46 PM
  • 6 Replies

My son just turned 5 on the 13th. He is usually good but is having issues with hantrums. He has now resorted to kicking, punching, slapping, and pinching me whenever he gets mad at me. He no longer listens when I tell him to go to his room whenever he is getting fussy and won't listen to what I have to say. This usually ends in my packing him into his room which is when he physically acts out. I have told him numberous times it is unacceptable to hit, kick, pinch or push others even when he is angry. I have no idea on how to handle this. I am at wits end. The  time outs and talking don't seem to be sinking in. Does anyone have any ohter idea on how to deal with this? 

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
brieri
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Hi and welcome to the group.

5 yr olds do appear to regress at times because they want to test  you to see how you will react and for how long.  Perhaps telling him that when he does the kicking, yellling, etc...., certain things will be taken away from him for a period of time and don't give in to his tantrums. 

Robsessed98
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:07 PM
At that age they really test the boundaries and respond differently to punishment sometimes. All I can suggest is continuing to be firm and consistant with your words and actions. Try different approaches with discipline until you find the one that works. Keep at it and he will eventually stop.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Feb. 15, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Welcome stay consistent have you tried a reward system? My son builds a mr. Potato head (he gets a piece every day he is good) when it's built he gets a hot wheel it's helped a lot with attitude and behavior
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:53 PM
I never did tolerate my boys puttin hands on me. I don't tolerate fits either. I put their asses I a hold until they stopped. The key was putting them in a hold showing ZERO reaction. No anger. Basically I cupped their bodies w mine and wrapped their legs w mine and held their hands down and got their heads under my chin so they could t move or head butt. I said "I will let go when you stop" then silence.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mytrueloveS
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm having the same issue with my 5 year old right now.  It's a hassle, I'm thinking to be stricter with him  

Jacque1313
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Thank you for the advice I will definately try them. I thought it would be cake after the terrible 2's. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)