Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Putting in my 2 week notice. Advice?

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:11 PM
  • 18 Replies

So I have 2 jobs. One I work overnight from 9pm to 6am and then the other job I work from either 7 or 8am until 3:30pm. So I get about 3 or 4 hours of a sleep a day. Even though my day job is working from home for a call center, after working all night at my one job I'm exhausted. I don't know if I actually will or whether I'll just suck it up but I'm wearing thin.

I'm thinking about putting in my 2 week notice at my overnight job. They went from giving me 2 or 3 weeks off to putting me on the schedule 40 hours a week for the next 3 weeks. I have no time to myself or for my son anymore. Any advice on how to put it in? I have never given a job a 2 week notice before. Usually something jumps off and I just walk out and don't go back lol

I like this job though so I don't want to do them like that. So... Any advice on how to submit my 2 week notice? Thanks ladies.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Basically just tell them the reason and last date you intend to work. Fyi... a lot of employers will let you go immediately instead of waiting out 2 weeks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GoldenLinds
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:21 PM
Write a letter. Make sure you tell them you've appreciated the opportunity. If you feel its necessary state your reason for leaving. Tell them you hope that if things change in the future that you could return. And of course clearly state your last day. Personally I prefer a little more than 2 weeks notice. If you are friendly with your boss then just go in and sit down and tell them what's going on but have a letter too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:23 PM
I've wondered how that was working out for you. Sorry it didn't work out. Just goto your boss and tell him that it's not working out and you need more time with ds, but that you will stay for two more weeks. I'm sure he will understand and appreciate your giving notice. It's not a fun conversation to have, but its not as bad as you're expecting either.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Why and for what reason?

Quoting conniejo75:

Basically just tell them the reason and last date you intend to work. Fyi... a lot of employers will let you go immediately instead of waiting out 2 weeks

SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I mean its working fine but since they changed our overnight manager he has put me on the schedule full time now where I was used to only working about 2 or 3 days a week before and then my day job. He has me scheduled for 40 hours a week with the weekends off for the next month and a half I think? Its exhausting.

Quoting Robsessed98:

I've wondered how that was working out for you. Sorry it didn't work out. Just goto your boss and tell him that it's not working out and you need more time with ds, but that you will stay for two more weeks. I'm sure he will understand and appreciate your giving notice. It's not a fun conversation to have, but its not as bad as you're expecting either.

Lostcause324
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:42 PM
2 moms liked this

First of all try talking to them and seeing if they would work with your hours to let them know that under your circumstances you can't work as much.  That shows them your trying to stay.  If you just need to quit period go to your boss and tell him that at the moment you can't handle two jobs and taking care of your child.  Honesty goes a long way

steviechick
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Quoting Lostcause324:

First of all try talking to them and seeing if they would work with your hours to let them know that under your circumstances you can't work as much.  That shows them your trying to stay.  If you just need to quit period go to your boss and tell him that at the moment you can't handle two jobs and taking care of your child.  Honesty goes a long way

You have a legitimate reason for quitting your day job.  I like this idea the best.  I hope you are able to work things out with your day job.  If not, at least you left on a good note and you have good references.  That's what you need moving forward.

PoplarGrove
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Have you talked to him about that?  It could just be a miscommunication or he thinks he's helping you out putting you at full time.  

Quoting SexyDiva19:

I mean its working fine but since they changed our overnight manager he has put me on the schedule full time now where I was used to only working about 2 or 3 days a week before and then my day job. He has me scheduled for 40 hours a week with the weekends off for the next month and a half I think? Its exhausting.

Quoting Robsessed98:

SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I think he thinks he is helping me out. A couple of weeks ago they had me off for like 2 1/2-3 weeks working only 2 or 3 days in a 2 week period and I was bugging because I wasn't working. I guess you have to be careful what you wish for huh?

Quoting PoplarGrove:

Have you talked to him about that?  It could just be a miscommunication or he thinks he's helping you out putting you at full time.  

Quoting SexyDiva19:

Quoting Robsessed98:

SexyDiva19
by Alexis on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I'm not trying to quit my day job. Sometimes I want to quit it because its so restrictive. Like from 7 or 8am until 3:30pm I am stuck in front of my computer taking calls. I get 2 breaks and a lunch but  I feel suffocated you know? At work I am able to move around and not feel stuck.

Quoting steviechick:

Quoting Lostcause324:

You have a legitimate reason for quitting your day job.  I like this idea the best.  I hope you are able to work things out with your day job.  If not, at least you left on a good note and you have good references.  That's what you need moving forward.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)