Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Alone in the delivery room

Posted by   + Show Post
Even though this is my 3rd child, I'm so nervous about being in the delivery room alone. All my friends & family live out of town (at least 12 hours away) and no one is coming until after the baby's born. I only have 4 weeks left, IF she decides to stay in that long! And I need to be able to focus on something other than being all alone. Anyone else been through this? What can I do to help me stay calm and enjoy the delivery instead of being so nervous about it??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Replies (21-29):
828momof2
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:00 PM

You're probably 3-4 hours from me. If I was closer, I would totally be there if you wanted me too but 3hrs is a LONG time when you're in labor! lol Hopefully, yours will be quick and easy. Before you know it, you'll be holding your little one and nothing else will matter.

Quoting mandyjschmidt:

I'm in Greenville which is Eatern NC. Home of ECU, about an hour & half east of Raleigh

Quoting 828momof2:

What part of NC? I'm in Catawba County in the Western Foothills.

Quoting mandyjschmidt:

I live in North Carolina. And I think u have a great idea! There's nothing better than women supporting other women! Especially during times like this!!

Quoting twade26:

I wasn't alone during my delivery but I was alone right afterwards and I uderstand how hard it can be with a new baby by yourself even if you ar enot a new mother. But you will get through it and everything will okay. Once you get there and your labor starts you won't even care. I am sure if you tell the nurses the situation that they will come hold your hand if you need help with anything. What state do you live in? You know your situation made me think maybe we should start some sort of group for moms who are going to be alone during their delivery, have someone come sit with them so that they won't alone. Maybe they could meet before the baby is born and get to know each other and then help each other out when they are going through labor and delivery. Labor and delivery can be so scary especially if you end up having complications. IDk just an idea.

rfhsure
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

You should try and find a doula! I couldn't afford one and lost all hope and I actually ended up meeting one who just got out of doula training. They need so many births to get their license and she has been an amazing help to me throughout this part of the pregnancy and I am so thankful to have her help in the delivery room, as I was going to be alone as well. She took on my case at 38 weeks. I would try asking around, even posting on craigslist, if you facebook check for doula services on that, I'm sure you could find someone if you try hard enough! If not, you will be just fine. Ask for nurses to help you with comfort measures if they're available, and be confident in yourself. you've delivered before, youc an do it again!

mandyjschmidt
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:20 PM
I wish I could hire a doula but I'm having trouble making ends meet as it is. I will definitely check into finding a doula that just finished training so both she & I can benefit from it! Thanks!
tattooedmamaof2
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Have faith in youself you will do just fine. :) I'm sorry that you have to do it alone, where is the child dad? 

stressed-mom
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Good luck sweetie n yes i no what your going through i have three my mom was there wit me for he 1st 1 n my sons father was there 4 the 2nd1 but when i had the 3rd i was all alone. My fam lives n houston n my mother passed. Her father told me wen i was 6mo that he was goin 2 wk n neva came back. I had 2 catch d public bus wit my ova nite bag 2 the hospital i had a csection so i new wen just had no support. BUT GOD IS ALWAYS THERE!!!!! AND shes right talk 2 your nurse they will comfort u mine did through out the whole time and i dnt no how but my granma all d way from houston got them 2 give me the phone while i was on the table.
So prAy stay as relaxed as u can.
My Prayers r with u
Iyannasmama
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Have you considered getting a birth doula. I got one around 36 weeks when I realized that I would like the support during labor and delivery. My experience was great and she was there to help me with whatever I needed help with. She was affordable and was great postpartum as well.

Christine9576
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I was alone in the delivery room when I had my son, and even though I had no support...I toughed it out. I felt empowered afterwards...very tired but empowered.

somemore83
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I had my first, a c-section alone because my husband at the time was deployed. I actually liked it and would have had family there if it wasn't the middle of the night. It was scary because it was emergency surgery, but all was well with baby and I was happy.
FIMarriott
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

The truth is, when the moment comes, you will forget you are there alone. You will be so concentrated on giving birth, you won't think about that. And after it's all over, your attention will be on you beautiful new child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)