Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Alone in the delivery room

Posted by   + Show Post
Even though this is my 3rd child, I'm so nervous about being in the delivery room alone. All my friends & family live out of town (at least 12 hours away) and no one is coming until after the baby's born. I only have 4 weeks left, IF she decides to stay in that long! And I need to be able to focus on something other than being all alone. Anyone else been through this? What can I do to help me stay calm and enjoy the delivery instead of being so nervous about it??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Replies (11-20):
Cooperfamily
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
My friends on fb kept me laughing and that eased my nerves. And about 30 min after telling them goodnight it was time to push. Lol...but I was on fb the whole time lol
Lynette
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I would get a doula.

twade26
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I wasn't alone during my delivery but I was alone right afterwards and I uderstand how hard it can be with a new baby by yourself even if you ar enot a new mother. But you will get through it and everything will okay. Once you get there and your labor starts you won't even care. I am sure if you tell the nurses the situation that they will come hold your hand if you need help with anything. What state do you live in? You know your situation made me think maybe we should start some sort of group for moms who are going to be alone during their delivery, have someone come sit with them so that they won't alone. Maybe they could meet before the baby is born and get to know each other and then help each other out when they are going through labor and delivery. Labor and delivery can be so scary especially if you end up having complications. IDk just an idea.

twade26
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:28 PM

That is a great idea. 

Quoting Lynette:

I would get a doula.

mandyjschmidt
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM
I live in North Carolina. And I think u have a great idea! There's nothing better than women supporting other women! Especially during times like this!!

Quoting twade26:

I wasn't alone during my delivery but I was alone right afterwards and I uderstand how hard it can be with a new baby by yourself even if you ar enot a new mother. But you will get through it and everything will okay. Once you get there and your labor starts you won't even care. I am sure if you tell the nurses the situation that they will come hold your hand if you need help with anything. What state do you live in? You know your situation made me think maybe we should start some sort of group for moms who are going to be alone during their delivery, have someone come sit with them so that they won't alone. Maybe they could meet before the baby is born and get to know each other and then help each other out when they are going through labor and delivery. Labor and delivery can be so scary especially if you end up having complications. IDk just an idea.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I drove myself in be safe you will be ok and once it starts it will be the last thing on your mind. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
828momof2
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I understand how you feel! Leading up to DD's birth, I was terrified that I'd have her at home alone, not have a way to the hospital, or give birth on the way to the hospital. I didn't worry too much about being alone at the hospital. lol I told a girl friend to meet me at the hospital and my mom took me then left to go back to get DS. When I got to the hospital, things were moving so quickly I couldn't even tell you when my friend got there or what she did. There were so many people in and labor went so quickly that I really think I would've been ok if my friend didn't make it. She didn't stay long and I LOVED the extra bonding time with just me and DD for most of our stay. I'm sure you'll do fine! :)

828momof2
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:35 PM

What part of NC? I'm in Catawba County in the Western Foothills.

Quoting mandyjschmidt:

I live in North Carolina. And I think u have a great idea! There's nothing better than women supporting other women! Especially during times like this!!

Quoting twade26:

mandyjschmidt
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:57 PM
I'm in Greenville which is Eatern NC. Home of ECU, about an hour & half east of Raleigh

Quoting 828momof2:

What part of NC? I'm in Catawba County in the Western Foothills.

Quoting mandyjschmidt:

Quoting twade26:

GoldenLinds
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Girl if I was close I would totally come with. I admit I had my husband with me and it was awful. I can't tell you how many times I've thiught how much better and more focused ad able to cope I would have felt if he hadn't been there. He was useless. Uncaring. Kept whining about how tired he was and how he was hungry. Didnt say anything nice or reasuring at all. If he hadn't been there I wouldnt have expected to have a caring figure to help me but as it was I was overwhelmed by the disappointment and feeling of abandon. I wish I could do it over and be alone and then I could focus on my own strength, find my own rhythm and really embrace it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)