Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you guys do when you tell your kids their dad is coming and he doesn't...

Posted by   + Show Post

I told them they were leaving today because that's what he told me on vday. Now that I know he's not coming I feel like I have to take them somewhere to take their mind off of it because if not my son will keep asking me. I always do this. What do you guys do? I'm going to take them to lunch and then go bowling......then they are stuck with mommys boring laundry and grocery shopping lol. 

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Replies (61-70):
ashbeth78
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I make him explain why he's not coming to get him its not my job anymore to try & make excuses for why he isn't there when he's supposed to be.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:56 AM
I don't say a thing. My dd hasn't seen her "dad" since 7/14/09. A few days before Christmas 2012 my dd asked who her dad was. When I showed her a picture of him her response was no that isn't my dad very smart of her imho for a 6yr old. This year will be 4yrs on 7/14 that she last saw him.
jdoran3
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I have been there too many times.  I tell them that he was supposed to come but something came up - work, whatever you can that they would understand. It would be easy to talk down about their father but they will learn that on their own.  Just be as positive as you can.  I too have taken them somewhere to make up for it.  I guess it's my way too of letting them know I care and will always be there for them and will not cancel on them.  Good luck - I know it's hard, especially to see them let down and sad. 

lilyismyheart
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:55 AM
My dh had a dad like that. He still remembers one time his dad was supposed to take him to a ball game... He waited all day so excited. No call, never showed up. He was so disappointed. He found out later he had:( gone and taken his new gf out of country instead.
chendren1
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:58 AM
I just stop telling them he is coming. Tired of making excuses
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeggieK44
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:37 PM
I don't tell my son. We are supposed to have dinner with his family every Saturday but he bails a lot so I just stick with saying we're gonna go see grandma and then if his dad shows up, he gets excited but if not then he isn't bummed out.
Phillymama123
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Its never happened

Lostcause324
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Hand over the phone and tell them to explain to their child why they can't make it.  They'll accept the reason a little more coming from their father.  

jenmomx3
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I don't mention it if he says he is coming.  I let it be a surprise to both of us if he actually shows up!

bluecandi
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Awww hugs!!  So sorry this happened OP!!  Definitely stay positive with the kiddos. Hugs!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)