Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

What do you guys do when you tell your kids their dad is coming and he doesn't...

Posted by   + Show Post

I told them they were leaving today because that's what he told me on vday. Now that I know he's not coming I feel like I have to take them somewhere to take their mind off of it because if not my son will keep asking me. I always do this. What do you guys do? I'm going to take them to lunch and then go bowling......then they are stuck with mommys boring laundry and grocery shopping lol. 

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Replies (71-80):
easinpc
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I just stopped telling my son until they texted and said they were on their way or showed up. That way he wouldn't be disappointed since they didn't know.

MikeysMom22
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Tell the morning that you are expecting him to show up. Maybe a hour before if he sometimes has done this in the past.

newbie1198
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Unfortunately my ex bails almost every Wed. when he is suppose to pick up our kids after school for his weekday visit and several of his weekend visits he has canceled my 14ds doesnt really care, but it breaks my dd7 heart so I always try to do something special for her to make up for like take her to do something special, or let her have a friend over.

loveonlyher
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:08 PM
First off parents"moms" have to learn that everytime you pick up after your kids father you hurt them. Y because you basically telling them its kay for dad to hurt you in the end im goin to do something to make you feel betta. Yes it hurt seeing you kids in pain but one day you may not have the money to do wat dad didnt do or you may be tired but because you have made it your job to pick daddies part they are goin to expect you to do it. My kids are 10 8 and 23 mnths i dont lie to them. It will hurt the first few times but
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
loveonlyher
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Your kids wont blame you when they're old enuff to undastand mommie love them enuff to stay honest my kids are happy
bellygirl
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Are you kids old enough that they can call their father and ask him themselves?  I know as a mother, you don't want your children to hurt, of course we want to soften the blow.  I would let them call and make their dad tell them why he's not pulling through.  Put it on him, how unfair of him to make a mess and leave you to clean up.  I would tell him not to EVER make plans with the kids again.  If he comes to get them one day, it'll be a nice surprise.  My aunt used to tell my son that she was going to have a slumber party with him and his cousins. Only to never go through with it.  She'd continue to say it, however, I told her not to ever say anything to him again.  That way he's never disappointed. 

SonnysMommy821
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:12 PM

When his dad has visitation days; don't tell your child until that day or even right before.  I never do; mostly because the past few months he has been flaking out on spending time with our child.

chazzamatazz
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I just tell them that he's not able to come after all and give them whatever excuse he gave me (generally it's because he has to work). But ever since she turned 8, I show her the exact message he sent me (on facebook or in text on my phone, whatever) because he had gotten her thinking that I was deliberately keeping her away from him. After a few times of her angry accusations, I don't let him get away with the lies so I show her exactly what he wrote to me. 

ready4happiness
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:06 PM
My suggestion would be. Don't tell them that way if he shows up its a surprise and when he don't they will not be hurt. I hates seeing them crushed when there was a no show.
mammabear5150
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Stay strong momma!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)