Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Daycare or lack thereof and EIC *earned income child tax credit

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:46 AM
  • 39 Replies
So I was filling out my stuff on line for my taxes. My son is 4.5. I didn't even make $18,000 last year. After putting everything in for my son I put he didn't have daycare expenses. One he goes to school ALL day in an autism preschool class and two my mom watches him for FREE when he's out. Well it said I did not qualify for the earned income child tax credit for that child. WTF!!!!!
Then it asked if someone else who wasn't his parent lived with us and as soon as I answered yes I qualified. How the hell did I not qualify for it not even making $18k, just because I don't pay for child care? That's bogus! What if my sister didn't live with me? I would have gotten a whopping $101 for him. That's BS! I feel sorry for the other single moms who made the same and their mom watched their kid and they didn't qualify for the EIC.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
veganistic
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like a mistake actually.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ljeanbeans
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Tax code has been shifting a lot...the people that write it definitely do not have very good objective intelligence that way. However, if you do websites that just ask you questions to get your forms filled out for you...you'll get different results frequently. I noticed this...pick out a 1, 2 or 3 free tax sites (or even not, just fill out and don't submit) and work through them and you'll see that they're different. I like www.freefilefillableforms.com because it is the ACTUAL forms with the ACTUAL instructions that you just put a few basic numbers into and the rest calculates for you, like a spreadsheet.

Cenedra64
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:38 AM
Ive always used turbotax. Irs never argued it was wrong. And i got big returns back. It does sound like software error. When i still had a dependants id card i had them do my taxes free on base. Daycare and itimizing didnt help with earned income credit. You always gotta exceed the standard deductions on itimizing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:10 PM
I use the H&R Blocks free online stuff where u just fill in the blanks they have a whats this button to click if you dont understand and it says you can chat live with someone. Ive used H&R block all but one year since I had my son and I filled it out myself at hone on paper. I've qualified every other year so I was wondering if it was a new thing this year.

Quoting ljeanbeans:

Tax code has been shifting a lot...the people that write it definitely do not have very good objective intelligence that way. However, if you do websites that just ask you questions to get your forms filled out for you...you'll get different results frequently. I noticed this...pick out a 1, 2 or 3 free tax sites (or even not, just fill out and don't submit) and work through them and you'll see that they're different. I like www.freefilefillableforms.com because it is the ACTUAL forms with the ACTUAL instructions that you just put a few basic numbers into and the rest calculates for you, like a spreadsheet.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:14 PM
I use the H&R Blocks free online stuff where u just fill in the blanks they have a whats this button to click if you dont understand and it says you can chat live with someone. Ive used H&R block all but one year since I had my son and I filled it out myself at hone on paper. I've qualified every other year so I was wondering if it was a new thing this year.
And I wasn't trying to itemize either. I was taking the standard head of household I always do. I didn't claim my sister the first few years (my dad did, even tho she lives with me) but I did last year and had it before I added her. must have been a glitch or a brand new thing this year.

Quoting Cenedra64:

Ive always used turbotax. Irs never argued it was wrong. And i got big returns back. It does sound like software error. When i still had a dependants id card i had them do my taxes free on base. Daycare and itimizing didnt help with earned income credit. You always gotta exceed the standard deductions on itimizing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I make a lot less than that, boy if they give me the run-around that stuff, I think I'll tell them where to take their hike to! ha.

pianokisses
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:25 PM
2 moms liked this

That doesnt sound right. YOU do qualify. Go on the IRS site and double check. I made 19000 I think and I qualify with or without it because I checked both. And not to brag but I'm getting back 8600 combined. Did you put head of household? If you take care of your child and no one else is claiming you you need to put that. File as single or head of household. 

pianokisses
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope you didnt process it yet did you?

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Daycare does not qualify or disqualify you. My kids are too old for daycare. I like turbotax better than H&R block honestly. Also make sure you do head of household instead of single. Are you claiming your sister as a dependent? I don't see how she would make a difference unless you are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Im always head of household.

Quoting pianokisses:

That doesnt sound right. YOU do qualify. Go on the IRS site and double check. I made 19000 I think and I qualify with or without it because I checked both. And not to brag but I'm getting back 8600 combined. Did you put head of household? If you take care of your child and no one else is claiming you you need to put that. File as single or head of household. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN