Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Daycare or lack thereof and EIC *earned income child tax credit

Posted by   + Show Post
So I was filling out my stuff on line for my taxes. My son is 4.5. I didn't even make $18,000 last year. After putting everything in for my son I put he didn't have daycare expenses. One he goes to school ALL day in an autism preschool class and two my mom watches him for FREE when he's out. Well it said I did not qualify for the earned income child tax credit for that child. WTF!!!!!
Then it asked if someone else who wasn't his parent lived with us and as soon as I answered yes I qualified. How the hell did I not qualify for it not even making $18k, just because I don't pay for child care? That's bogus! What if my sister didn't live with me? I would have gotten a whopping $101 for him. That's BS! I feel sorry for the other single moms who made the same and their mom watched their kid and they didn't qualify for the EIC.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:46 AM
Replies (11-20):
Jenn8604
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Like I said I added my sister, who lives with me and got the EIC for him and her since she's still in college. I'm getting back $7,083. But until I added her I was getting $101.

Quoting pianokisses:

I hope you didnt process it yet did you?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:49 PM
I didn't think it would. I always claim head of household. And yes she is a dependent because she is in school full time and doesn't work

Quoting conniejo75:

Daycare does not qualify or disqualify you. My kids are too old for daycare. I like turbotax better than H&R block honestly. Also make sure you do head of household instead of single. Are you claiming your sister as a dependent? I don't see how she would make a difference unless you are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:04 PM
It gives a lot more for 2 dependents than 1... u also probably got education credits for her.

Quoting Jenn8604:

Like I said I added my sister, who lives with me and got the EIC for him and her since she's still in college. I'm getting back $7,083. But until I added her I was getting $101.

Quoting pianokisses:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:10 PM
probably, but still my thing is HOW did DS NOT qualify for EIC til I added her? I should have got over $3,000 just for him ALONE based on my income.

Quoting conniejo75:

It gives a lot more for 2 dependents than 1... u also probably got education credits for her.

Quoting Jenn8604:

Quoting pianokisses:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:24 PM
hmmm call H&R Block
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jinxmom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Go back and check what you did. hope didn't see didn't send it.
tyfry7496
by Janet on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Earned income credit is different from the child care credit. My son is in high school and I get earned income credit. (I made about $18,000) last year. I also got the extra child tax credit or whatever that is called.

I think it's more like a question was answered incorrectly.

I use Tax Act and it will stop if you answer a question wrong for the particular credit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AustinRonMommy
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Umm, that doesn't make sense. Because I didn't have my kids in daycare and I got the entire EIC for my youngest son(my ex DH claims my oldest son) and it's just me and my boys at my place. No one else lives with us.

ETA: I made less than $13,000 last year.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM
I agree

Quoting tyfry7496:

Earned income credit is different from the child care credit. My son is in high school and I get earned income credit. (I made about $18,000) last year. I also got the extra child tax credit or whatever that is called.

I think it's more like a question was answered incorrectly.

I use Tax Act and it will stop if you answer a question wrong for the particular credit.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
susanmichelle25
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:38 PM

HR Block sucked this year I fond taxact.com. The program found over 800 dollars in deductions that HR block didn't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)