Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Daycare or lack thereof and EIC *earned income child tax credit

Posted by   + Show Post
So I was filling out my stuff on line for my taxes. My son is 4.5. I didn't even make $18,000 last year. After putting everything in for my son I put he didn't have daycare expenses. One he goes to school ALL day in an autism preschool class and two my mom watches him for FREE when he's out. Well it said I did not qualify for the earned income child tax credit for that child. WTF!!!!!
Then it asked if someone else who wasn't his parent lived with us and as soon as I answered yes I qualified. How the hell did I not qualify for it not even making $18k, just because I don't pay for child care? That's bogus! What if my sister didn't live with me? I would have gotten a whopping $101 for him. That's BS! I feel sorry for the other single moms who made the same and their mom watched their kid and they didn't qualify for the EIC.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:46 AM
Replies (31-39):
megshepherd
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I didn't

Quoting tyfry7496:

Do not put Cs in your income because its not earned income. You don't even count it.

Quoting megshepherd:

I don't qualify either...I make about 23,000 a year WITH cs and 2 kids. then I come on here and read about all these women getting 5000 plus back for their refund???? how do they do it?

Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:32 AM
LETS REVIEW THIS YET AGAIN!
IT SAID HE DID NOT QUALIFY FOR THE EIC. And they were NOT next to each other. THEY WERE IN SEPARATE PAGES! Seriously learn to read before you quote.

Quoting aj23:

Daycare isn't related to the EIC.

They are both related to kids which is why they come up on the forms near each other.

Quoting Jenn8604:

It asked if he was in daycare, then for the Earned Income child tax credit box underneath my list of dependents it said no for qualifying.

Quoting tyfry7496:

Earned income credit is different from the child care credit. My son is in high school and I get earned income credit. (I made about $18,000) last year. I also got the extra child tax credit or whatever that is called.

I think it's more like a question was answered incorrectly.

I use Tax Act and it will stop if you answer a question wrong for the particular credit.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
easinpc
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I know they've had a lot of issues this year but glad you got it figured out!

aj23
by Amanda on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow... no where did I say they were on the same page and I'm not going to type the rest of what I'm thinking because its not very nice. Maybe if you stopped being so defensive and actually listened to what people are trying to tell you it might just make you realise you did something wrong.
I'm a CPA and I do about 100 tax returns every year and I know what I'm talking about but since you are so dead set on believing that there is no way the software is wrong and there is no way you could have put anything in wrong there is just no helping you.

Quoting Jenn8604:

IT SAID HE DID NOT QUALIFY FOR THE EIC. And they were NOT next to each other. THEY WERE IN SEPARATE PAGES! Seriously learn to read before you quote.

Quoting aj23:

They are both related to kids which is why they come up on the forms near each other.

Quoting Jenn8604:

It asked if he was in daycare, then for the Earned Income child tax credit box underneath my list of dependents it said no for qualifying.

Quoting tyfry7496:

Earned income credit is different from the child care credit. My son is in high school and I get earned income credit. (I made about $18,000) last year. I also got the extra child tax credit or whatever that is called.

I use Tax Act and it will stop if you answer a question wrong for the particular credit.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vstewart555
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I used Taxslayer.com. When it asked me if I had child care expenses for my daughter and I said no and I got the EIC for her, adn I made close to what you made last year. Because I didn't have child care expenses it said I needed to file as single rather than head of household, but I still got the EIC credit.  you may want to call HRblock customer service and have them check it out. Their stores also claim free federal filing and second look so they should be willing to take a second look at their own software for sure.. 

nerdymom28
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:56 AM

That doesn't sound right. I never claimed my childcare costs on my taxes until this year, but I always got the EIC.

aj23
by Amanda on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM
If you want to save the money (assuming you're being charged for it) and do it yourself online I know me and meesh in the other group would be more than happy to help with any questions you have. Its pretty easy to do it but it gets confusing sometimes.

Quoting LifeCafe42:

That's why I'm having mine done for me this year

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Well congratufuckilations on being a cpa! AT LEAST I CAN READ!

Quoting aj23:

Wow... no where did I say they were on the same page and I'm not going to type the rest of what I'm thinking because its not very nice. Maybe if you stopped being so defensive and actually listened to what people are trying to tell you it might just make you realise you did something wrong.

I'm a CPA and I do about 100 tax returns every year and I know what I'm talking about but since you are so dead set on believing that there is no way the software is wrong and there is no way you could have put anything in wrong there is just no helping you.

Quoting Jenn8604:

Quoting aj23:

Quoting Jenn8604:

Quoting tyfry7496:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aj23
by Amanda on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Apparently not. If you could you wouldn't have screwed up your taxes.

Quoting Jenn8604:

Well congratufuckilations on being a cpa! AT LEAST I CAN READ!

Quoting aj23:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN