Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

He wants to sign his rights over...can i still get child support??

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:31 AM
  • 34 Replies
1 mom liked this

First of all I am so glad i have found this site. Thank you in advance for any help you give me. I really appreciate it. I have friends that have kids but none of them had the issues i am having.

I am 22 weeks pregnant and the father of my child hasnt been around for the entire pregnancy except for about the first week that i told him. We only dated for a short time, but I broke up with him about 2 weeks before I found out I was pregnant. I heard through friends that he was talking about signing his rights over. I confronted him abou it and he would never give me a straight answer. Now he finally has, he said he is contacting a lawyer to see what he has to do to sign over his rights. I told him that i would prefer him to be a dad but that i cant force him to be someone he doesnt want to be. So if that is what he chose to do then i would let him. But if i do does that also mean he doesnt have any financial responsibilities? Can the judge still make him pay child support? I have a decent job but a child is expensive. But just because he doesnt physically want to be there I think he should still be financially responsible. Right??  It took both of us to make this little girl. Not just me. I just dont know how to handle this.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
victoriangavin
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:25 AM

What state are you in? In some states rights and responsibilites are seperate.

mrsary
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM
If he doesn't want rights all he has to do is not sign the BC.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrsary
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:28 AM
if he does it like that, u will still receive child spt after the state requests a DNA test.
CollegeKatie
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Just to be safe you need to put him as the father on the BC in most states. That way there is never any question and you skip the issue of trying  to get him to do a DNA test and he supports the child he helped create whether he wants to be a part of the childs life or not. Stay strong.

Jennyanne322
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:35 AM
It depends on your state. I live in NY. Here you have to be married and your SO has to be adopting the child, for a parent to sign their rights away.
Jennyanne322
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:36 AM
He has to sign a paper of paternity in order to be put on the BC.

Quoting CollegeKatie:

Just to be safe you need to put him as the father on the BC in most states. That way there is never any question and you skip the issue of trying  to get him to do a DNA test and he supports the child he helped create whether he wants to be a part of the childs life or not. Stay strong.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I'm not sure how that works but here's a bump for you.  Good luck!

Bella14308
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I live in ct. my middle dds father tried to give up his rights about 3 years ago. The jusdge told him no since there was no plans in the process for anyone to adopt her. judge said until there are plans in place and starting he has to be financially responsible.

So yes if he terminates his rights he has no rights or responsibilities (well at least in ct)
VeggieRunnerMom
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM

This is the way it is in my state too!

Quoting Jennyanne322:

It depends on your state. I live in NY. Here you have to be married and your SO has to be adopting the child, for a parent to sign their rights away.

nanasprozac
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:43 AM
2 moms liked this

I believe that just signing his rights over means he wont be asking for any shared custody ..but that still wont get him out of paying child support...I wonder if in his mind he thinks if he signs away his rights that gets him out of paying support...you'll be ok

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)