Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He wants to sign his rights over...can i still get child support??

Posted by   + Show Post

First of all I am so glad i have found this site. Thank you in advance for any help you give me. I really appreciate it. I have friends that have kids but none of them had the issues i am having.

I am 22 weeks pregnant and the father of my child hasnt been around for the entire pregnancy except for about the first week that i told him. We only dated for a short time, but I broke up with him about 2 weeks before I found out I was pregnant. I heard through friends that he was talking about signing his rights over. I confronted him abou it and he would never give me a straight answer. Now he finally has, he said he is contacting a lawyer to see what he has to do to sign over his rights. I told him that i would prefer him to be a dad but that i cant force him to be someone he doesnt want to be. So if that is what he chose to do then i would let him. But if i do does that also mean he doesnt have any financial responsibilities? Can the judge still make him pay child support? I have a decent job but a child is expensive. But just because he doesnt physically want to be there I think he should still be financially responsible. Right??  It took both of us to make this little girl. Not just me. I just dont know how to handle this.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:31 AM
Replies (31-34):
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I was in the exact same situation unfortunately, & with twins. If thats his mentality of handling situations then you are better off without him around.

And if you live in California, then DO NOT let him sign over his rights. Even if he doesnt sign the birth certificate. Because then you will get NO childsupport, Welfare yes. But I see it as it takes 2 to make a baby. And he should atleast know the consequences for running out on his own offspring. 


by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Signing over his rights is him saying he wants nothing to basically do with your child.  He is free from everything and you will be resposnisible.  You will have nothing coming.  It's kind of messed up and it's sad that some men don't want to take responsibility for their children.  Going through that with my ex. 

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I looked into this also when my daughter was born. And in the state I was living I needed someone to adopt her or there has to be certain amount of time with no contact but still most states don't let them get out of their responsibilities even if they want to.  Oh and also he doesn't have to be on the bc to pay child support. At least in my state it wasn't on there and I still get support and my dd is 4. I was threatened ect and I stayed strong and you are right u didn't make that baby along. Make him take responsibility. Stay strong mama. Good luck.,

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:47 PM
You can get child support.regardless. Depending on the state he may nor have rights anyway if you're not married.
Cs and rights are two different things and courts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)