Custody Retaliation-Heard my BD will file this if I file for C.S. -Should I be stable first?
Hey Fabulous moms,
So you know I have finally decided to file. I went and spoke to an attorney at the Family Court Program they advised me to go through before filing. They explained how the father might file for Custody as retaliation for me filing. The thing is as far as custody is concerned he currently has a better set up. I am moving out my house by next month and will have to live with my mother for a few months to get on my feet as I am not working. But I know I have to file for child support soon!! The Legal program folks told me 9 times out of 10 right after I file he will file for custody especially when he thinks he is "Baby Daddy of the year." He has our kid on his insurance and he pays the cell bill but its in a family plan (that he wants me to pay into to share the bill)! he has with his new family and he pays the tuition late but with reimbursement from his job (most of ya'll know the background already) but still complains he doesn't have it-Anyhoo- he is renting from his girlfriends father in a single family home and he has a little son with his new family in said home and he has been at his job over 10 years. (this is his stablility for the judge)
I heard through a mutual friend of ours (he doenst know I know) that he will fight me on custody if I go to Child Support. I am the custodial parent no matter what. I've done and am doing and will continue to do way more than him. Its just that in a few weeks I will be living with someone else and there is limited space and the courts could see me as homeless and unstable. But that will be far from the truth as I am independent and about my business and not a slouch! I will get it together in no time for me and mine as I always do.
I was told to have my ducks in a row. The courts say that i can file for C.S. from my temporary situation but if he files for custody I will have about a month or so to that custody court date and I am afraid that I wont have it together in enough time. The lawyer told me, that living with someone else and not having a job won't look good for me.
So my question is...should I take a chance and file from my temporary spot or wait until I get my own place and have things in order to file for Child Support?. I am afraid to wait too long thats why I am asking and I have been advised not to worry so much about Custody.
Hey what is the lingo acronym on Cafe moms for "DH'?
Thanks in advance! :-)