Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Child Support Modification-As Custodial Parent if your income changes do you tell?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:26 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hey ladies, 

Another question-I'm not working right now and I am trying to see if i file for Child Support now I will get an award determined on my unemployment benefits. The thing is I am looking for a job and lets say if I do win a child support payment award, what happens when I get a job? Am I supposed to alert the Family Court i have a new job so the BD will get a reduction in his CS payment? Of course I wouldn't want to! lol but how does that work? 

Has anybody on here been through this? Does the child father happen to hear that the BM is woking and then he goes down to the courts to get a modification? Someone told me that it wouldn't matter if my income changes he still has to pay it but I don't think that's true. I don't want to be at  a new job going back and forth. So I'm trying to figure this out.

Let me know sunshines..

Thanks,

Toshi 

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
pianokisses
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Well mine has changed and always changes, but I never went and told them. If he wants to tell them that's his business. But no you don't have to tell them. It usually the other way around. But yes he can take you back if you are making a significantly larger amount. But if so I bet they wont lower your child support by much.

breebree04
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I am alittle confused on this myself because when I went to court for my divorce with my lawyer, my lawyer told me that cs was only based on what he made. That it didnt matter what I made or didnt make that he is responsible for helping financially with the kids based on what he makes. But a few years later my ex took me back to court (no lawyers) to have his child support lowered and they asked me about my job and how much money I made and ended up lowering his child support. If they didnt take into consideration my income I dont know why they would even ask. I think that is bs, shouldnt matter how much more money I make than him (I dont make a lot more than him), he still has to pay for his children. Why should I be more responsible financially for our kids just because I got a better paying job

Toshi92
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:51 PM

uh huh breebree,

So I was right...he could get it lowered because I make more. Darnnit!! and you're right it is BS. 

Thanks for your repsonse. 

Toshi

Toshi92
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Hey Piano

Thanks! and I beleive he same as you that it probably wont be that much and I am definetly not running down there telling that I am. 

Toshi 

ShutterFreak03
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:54 PM
No you dont have to tell. he can but thats up to him..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pianokisses
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I was looking at my CS order and it said that I made 220 a week....which isnt true lol. The judge is the one who put that. I make way more than that. So when I go back, I just realized that it might get lowered. But then again now he has to help me pay for child care so hopefully it'll stay some what the same.

heathakeen
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

in Iowa, the amount stays the same unless you apply to get it changed.   And once it is changed, you cant change it again for 2 years.

Toshi92
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:02 PM

thanks ladies and thanks heathhakeen-its NY for me and I hope thats the case 2 years!! lol 

brieri
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

If your out of work and then go back to work and he hears about it, yes he can take you back for modification.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN