Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Opening my heart in hopes of help.

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM
  • 10 Replies

In October 2011 my marriage was going through a major change. When I met my husband in 2003 he was a drug addict and when we became pregnant he went straight. Anyways 8 years into our relatioship and four kids later he decided life was to hard and went back to some of his old ways. I met a man and fell stupidly for him. My husband and I split in may of 2012. I allowed him to take the kids to live by his parents so they could help with the kids while I got on my feet. I had not worked in 8 years and employment is hard to come by. So he moved into one of their properties and was going straight to take care of the kids. I trusted my husband to do right by the kids and with his parents right there he would have the support to take good care of them until I got on my feet. So that is a little  history of how this all started.

Two weeks ago the man I fell stupidly for beat me up and put me in the hospital. I went to visit my children for the weekend as planned and I walked in on my husband doing his drug thing in the bathroom.I want my kids out of this situation and into a safe place for us. I am currently unemployed and living in a smalll apartment. This is enough space for me and the kids for now. I am posting this not to get critisized or judged but to see if there is any resources or organizations near me that can help. My father has offerred us a safe haven but he is in Canada and I dont know how that will work. Also he wont just let me take them out of country. Please if you can be helpful or please just pray for my family. I have come to this site for help. If you can help please do. No one is innocent in this situation but the children and now it time I put them first and make sure they are safe and their needs are met. It is about them and them only.

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
breebree04
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Im glad to hear that someone is finally willing to put these kids first. I dont know what state your in but you probably have job placement agencies in your area that will help you look for a job. Also you can go to your local DHS office and apply for help there and they also have resources to help you look for a job.

steviechick
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I have no idea how to help or what advice to give, but here is a hug for you.

hugging

kngarber
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Am I understanding correctly that you left your children with their father whom you knew was abusing illegal drugs?

You need to contact your local Family Services office and go from there.  Good luck.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the other mom above me about contacting Family Services/Human Services and seeing what services they can offer you. 

brieri
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Hi and welcome to the group.

Was it a court order that you had the children placed with the father while you got yourself in a better place?

Robsessed98
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Go to social services or DHS and find how what kind of help is available. I'm sorry this is happening and hope they can at least point you in the right direction. ((hugs))
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MingleMomOsix
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:15 PM

If you do not have formal custody orders, you are free to take your children where ever you like.  If your father is willing to help you, you should really consider going for it.

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Contact your local social services and see what they can do to help you.  Good luck hun.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:21 PM
I agree you are free to take kids if no court order but...
OP: You can not leave the country with the children unless both parents agree. You can not even get passports without both parents.

Quoting MingleMomOsix:

If you do not have formal custody orders, you are free to take your children where ever you like.  If your father is willing to help you, you should really consider going for it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MingleMomOsix
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Oh yeahhh! You are 100% correct on that.  Bummer! You will have to go to court and state your case as to why your children would be better off with you and your father in Canada.  But, if you want to stay in the country, you're on the right path, even if your apartment is small, and hopefully the woman beater is long gone. 

My apologies for the misinformation.

Good luck to you!

Quoting conniejo75:

I agree you are free to take kids if no court order but...
OP: You can not leave the country with the children unless both parents agree. You can not even get passports without both parents.

Quoting MingleMomOsix:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN