Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

How do you afford daycare?

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM
  • 38 Replies

So my kids have been at the same daycare center for about 7 years. I have always had daycare assistance through DHS because I could not afford to pay for daycare myself. The owner of the daycare was awesome and would just accept the DHS payment and would not make me pay the difference. Well the daycare was sold and someone else bought it. The new owner is great and we have known her for years because she worked at the daycare for along time before buying it. She has been making some changes, one of them being that she is charging the parents the difference from what DHS pays and what the daycare charges. That was not a big deal to me (it was about $40 week), I happily make my payments. I just recently got a new job and am making more money. Not alot but more than what I was making so DHS cancelled my daycare benefits. They said I am making too much money now to qualify. I am freaking out now because we have been living with my parents and are just about to move out since I have a good steady job but I dont see how with paying rent, utilities, gas, car insur, phone, ect I can afford to pay daycare too. We cannot stay living with my parents, they live an hour away from my work and kids school, this was just a temporary place to stay for us to get back on our feet. Im not sure yet until I talk to the daycare owner today but think it will cost me over $100 a week to have them at daycare. They are only there for about 20 mins in the morning and then 1 1/2 hrs after school. I definately dont know what I will do during the summer because they will be there all day, the price will more than double! My kids are ds10 and dd8 so I have a few years until they can stay home alone.

I dont know what to do. How do you other single moms afford daycare?

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
easinpc
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Daycare is one of the top things on my list each week in my budget that has to get paid no matter what.  When my son is in school I pay $60 a week for before/after care and then $120 a week when he's not in school.  I just know that I have no choice but to pay it so I always find a way.  Good luck!!

brieri
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:44 PM

No before/after school care on grounds you could look into.

sid1083
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Maybe see if there's an in-home provider within their school district?

Unfortunately, I RELY on CS to make my daycare payments. 

Robsessed98
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Idk how anyone affords it. I was lucky and had an older couple and it only cost about half of a daycare. I'm having to babysit my g'sons now bc my dds can't afford daycare.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrsary
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Idk since the state currently pays mine. I'm supposed to pay about $1400 for my 3 (b4 after care & 1 in full day care). Since the state helps I only pay about $400. Moving states soon & kinda scared of not getting assistance!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:20 PM

hell im not even a single mom anymore, but im pregnant and looking at paying 150-200 a WEEK for ONE infant :( idk how we are going to do it. i qualify for assistance but if you have a job the wait list is LONG and i cant even get on it until the baby is born.

MsLogansMommy
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I go to school online and the one class I do take on campus is during the time dd is in school sorry no help here

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Daycare is offered at my job at a reduced rate.  I only pay for the days they are scheduled and it is a reduced rate. 

Kid_Cat_Mom2005
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I'm in the same boat. I made 'too' much to get daycare assistance, and by too much, I mean $9.25 an hour. SMH 

jedwards2009
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Dd is in daycare three days a week, the other two days my mom watches her, so that keeps my bill down to $108 every other week. And her daycare is really cheap compared to what I've heard other moms say (18$ a day).

Once my ex quit paying cs it was a big adjustment for me, that was 400$ a month that I lost. But it's a bill that has to be paid and I made cuts in other places to make it work. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)