Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you afford daycare?

Posted by   + Show Post

So my kids have been at the same daycare center for about 7 years. I have always had daycare assistance through DHS because I could not afford to pay for daycare myself. The owner of the daycare was awesome and would just accept the DHS payment and would not make me pay the difference. Well the daycare was sold and someone else bought it. The new owner is great and we have known her for years because she worked at the daycare for along time before buying it. She has been making some changes, one of them being that she is charging the parents the difference from what DHS pays and what the daycare charges. That was not a big deal to me (it was about $40 week), I happily make my payments. I just recently got a new job and am making more money. Not alot but more than what I was making so DHS cancelled my daycare benefits. They said I am making too much money now to qualify. I am freaking out now because we have been living with my parents and are just about to move out since I have a good steady job but I dont see how with paying rent, utilities, gas, car insur, phone, ect I can afford to pay daycare too. We cannot stay living with my parents, they live an hour away from my work and kids school, this was just a temporary place to stay for us to get back on our feet. Im not sure yet until I talk to the daycare owner today but think it will cost me over $100 a week to have them at daycare. They are only there for about 20 mins in the morning and then 1 1/2 hrs after school. I definately dont know what I will do during the summer because they will be there all day, the price will more than double! My kids are ds10 and dd8 so I have a few years until they can stay home alone.

I dont know what to do. How do you other single moms afford daycare?

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Replies (31-38):
soulofsunmama
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:04 PM
I'm sorry, that's a rough spot:(
Your right though, I was always by myself, so there wasn't the worry of fighting, but if my sister (we are super close now)was there, we would have fought like cat and dogs.

Quoting breebree04:

I know some kids do at this age but my 10 yr old ds has ADHD so I dont really want him to stay home alone. Plus him and my 8 year old dd fight constantly so I would have to worry about that also. I always thought like around 12 or 13 would be a good age for them to stay home alone. This would be a problem anyway because they dont go to school in the town we live in, I drive them to daycare/school in the next town over so they dont have any bus transportation home. The bus takes them right to daycare. No after school programs :(

Quoting soulofsunmama:

I stayed home alone at 8, and especially at 10, I don't see the problem if they are reasonably mature. Besides, that's a very short time to be alone.
What about after school programs at the school?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitcal78
by Gigi on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:05 AM
Honey I make too much. I dont qualify for WIC or childcare assistance. I live with my mom, pay her $600rent for rent, car note, car insurance, gas, cc dept, medical bills, etc. Mom watches my son for $200 a month.
I have to pay $150 wk for daycare starting next 03/04/2013. The only way I can swing it is through child support payments.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Stephd710
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:20 AM
I got a private babysitter. They are a lot more affordable than a center.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
breebree04
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:29 AM

My parents help me out as much as possible but they both work. My mom does not work full-time though so she will keep them alot through the summer for me. That is a huge help but the days they have to go to daycare they will be there all day so Im guessing it will still be expensive

Quoting Musiq_Junkie:

Ur parents can't watch them 4 u in the summertime?

breebree04
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I do get child support but it does not include daycare. He is responsible for 50% of daycare cost but last time we went to court I wasnt paying anything out of pocket so they did not add that into his cs. I can take him back now and have daycare cost added to his cs but I already talked to him about it and he said he cant afford it and if he had to he would quit his job. yeah hes an ass! but I cant take the chance on him quitting his job because then I lose cs all together and the he just put the kids on his health insurance (after 4 yrs at this job) so I would be screwed if he did that too. I think I am just going to look for a babysitter or like you said an inhome provider.

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

Look for an inhome licensed provider. Also are you getting child support? If not time to file for it. I assume you are single? You really need to hit the dad up for money.

sid1083
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:25 AM

While it will take some cross-referencing, check out Craigslist (as shady as that sounds, there are quite a few legit providers) and make sure they're licensed with the state. That way, you can check with the state to see if they've had any violations or complaints lodged against them.

breebree04
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 8:57 AM

ok, thank you

Quoting sid1083:

While it will take some cross-referencing, check out Craigslist (as shady as that sounds, there are quite a few legit providers) and make sure they're licensed with the state. That way, you can check with the state to see if they've had any violations or complaints lodged against them.

L.I.MOMMY1980
by Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 3:27 PM

never did daycare i pay for pre school and it's a struggle but worth it she soo happy and learning alot but i think their are certain programs that can help

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)