Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Filing for abandonment

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:53 PM
  • 11 Replies
Could anyone explain this a little more to me? I would like to file since my daughters dad has never been in her life, but I'm honestly not even sure of what it means exactly or where to start. Thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Contact a local attorney for your states laws and rules every state is different I wish I could help more
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mocking.Jay
by ★Krista★ on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:04 AM

In canada, it's 5 years without an effort to make use of a court ordered visitation schedule. I'm in the process right now and by the sounds of it, my lawyer is going to talk to the judge about my ex still being financially responsible after I file for abandonment. His rights will be terminated except for the child support because technically I sued him and he has an outstanding balance full of debt he owes me.

brieri
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:17 AM

It could mean a variety of issues.  One case can be said parent who has child is the one alienating the child from the other for their own sake (abandoning child from not allowing to see the other parent).  Another case can say the visiting parent who is not taking advantage of the visitation is abandoning the child.  It depends the scenario and who is all involved in the case.

easinpc
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I'm not sure how it works but I would check with an attorney in your area to deals with family law.  They would be the best bet to tell you how it works in your area/state.  Good luck!

EJs_Mama2k10
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:51 PM
I live in Georgia. But I went to my local county courthouse and filed for it..they set me up a date the next month to have a hearing in front of a judge. The day of court about 5 minutes before judge came in..a deputy told us that if the judge found him guilty that day of abandonement they would lock him up on the spot. So she said since he showed up to court if we wanted to work something out we better do it before judge came in. Sperm donor then gave me some sob story about how he had lost his job and was looking for work, even had an interview later that day. He asked for. Chance to work things out..I caved in. We elft b4 seeing judge..he never came through and I was told I had to wait 30 days b4 I could file another abandonement charge and get a new hearing date..over those 30 days he still never contacted me or tried to do anything. I refiled and was given new date. The day before court I got a call from court clerk stating that he was denying paternity and that they would have to cancel dates until paternity was determined and that I would have to go through child services. I so wish I had gone through with first hearing and just let them lock him up..

Abadonement hearing is usually quicker than going through child services for support, etc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:21 PM
It's different in each state. Contact an attorney that gives free consults and have him fill you in.
raegan1221
by Raegan on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I'm not sure. I just know that in Texas, if the Mom doesn't see the child in 6 months straight then it's abandonment on her part and she can lose custody of the child to the father. But I don't know how that works filing on the Dad.

Oliviasmom72
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:20 AM
Has paternity been established and is there an order for support? It's not legally abandonment unless one or both if those exist.
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:06 AM
I'm not sure so here is a bump. Good luck.
tyfry7496
by Janet on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:41 AM
In Wisconsin it's 3 years of no contact. Paying child support is considered contact. It's extremely hard to get parental rights terminated. I wasted thousands of dollars for it to be denied and the father wanted it done!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)