Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Am I safe on Cafemom?

Posted by   + Show Post

While googling, I come across some Cafemom posts on google and other search engines which means that anyone can access/ read those posts.

I have gone to my privacy page to see if there are options for that but couldn't see any. Does this mean that if I post or respond to a post my replies or post can be read by about anyone who searches the net?

If my question isn't clear, here's an analogy. Say, I write a post on cafemom saying my 6 yr old has toothache and someone in china googles, "help, my 6 yr old has toothache', my post on Cafemom shows up on his search engine page.

It's alarming to me. Does anyone know how to ensure this doesn't happen, pls? 

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Replies (11-20):
labrax
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:39 AM

I agree. I'm even thinking of pulling all my pics from Facebook too.

Quoting Jers.:

This is why I keep arguing with people here about not posting your kids' pics online.  Nothing is private on the internet.

labrax
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:43 AM

Quoting Robsessed98:

Yes, but it will only show your screen name. As long as you have your settings set private on here, noone can track you down.

How about I post in a public group? Even with private settings posting in a public group will throw that reply up I am told.

labrax
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:45 AM

Quoting SnapIt:

If the group is public youre not safe

But youre never safe on the internet and what you post anyways even if the group is private

Some crazy ass out there is always lurking for info

I'll remember this always hence forth. Lol

Bonita131
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 3:49 AM

Anything you post or reply to on CM or any other public website is out there forever,and for anyone to read.The only way around it is to join a private website where you pay to be a member. Even then, someone could find you and what you posted if they tried hard enough.  

labrax
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:02 AM

Quoting Bonita131:

Anything you post or reply to on CM or any other public website is out there forever,and for anyone to read.The only way around it is to join a private website where you pay to be a member. Even then, someone could find you and what you posted if they tried hard enough.  

What about deleted posts? Can they still be found?

Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Feb. 23, 2013 at 5:31 AM
Agreed

Quoting LifeCafe42:

This is a public group always be careful what you post even private groups anyone can apply always on the Internet be careful what you post.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Cafemom takes security like they said very seriously and do a good job. But where there is a will there is a way
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:51 AM
It can, but your real name won't be on there, just your screen name. Even if someone clicked on it and got to this site, if your settings are private they still won't know who you are.

Quoting labrax:

Quoting Robsessed98:

Yes, but it will only show your screen name. As long as you have your settings set private on here, noone can track you down.

How about I post in a public group? Even with private settings posting in a public group will throw that reply up I am told.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bonita131
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting labrax:

Quoting Bonita131:

What about deleted posts? Can they still be found?

Yes, anything you post, even if you delete it is still out there.  We watched a consumer awareness segment last year and it was surprising to learn if someone wanted to find you, police, private investigator especially, they can find you and any personal information you might have online, ie; facebook, twitter, etc, as well as your IP address, even if you use anonymous.
They did say will take longer to trace someone who uses anonymous, but it can be done. I myself found the IP address and subsequent personal address & phone number of  a couple who'd ripped me off online and was able to report them. It takes time to find the info, but as has been said, if you are persistent enough, it can be done.

pianokisses
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I put up my daughters pic...and deleted it after like 5 minutes. I'm like I wonder if someone would do something with her pic this quick lol. But Ive also made a new FB page with NO pics of my kids. I do the Instagram thing though, but I only have a few friends up there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)