Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Hi Everyone, I'm new here, need advice

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi Ladies, 

I'm new, my name is melissa and i have two boys :) I need to ask some advice, i need reassurance. 

I have a boyfriend, who owns a house, we do not live together, but he does come over everyday to see us. I was just investigated by the county for welfare fraud, they asked if my bf lived with me, where he worked and where i worked, also asked if we went on vacation.  Yes he took me on a vacation 2 months ago which he paid for entirely. 

Nothing is joint because we are not married, he owns a permanent residence, and gets no mail at my house, and doesnt contribute to the household at all.

Should i be worried that im going to get charged with something? We didnt do anything wrong, im allowed to have company over. I just hear stories of people that go to jail for this and im worried. I report monthly to the county what i make and what my assest are.

Thanks Ladies, 

I appreciate the imput.

Blessings to you all.

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Replies (11-16):
virginiamama71
by Carrie on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Why do you report monthly to the County?

Sounds like someone called you in, cause he is there more than just for a visit.

Robsessed98
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:24 PM
If its all on the up and up and you can prove it, they can't charge you. If your ex or whoever made a complaint, they have to investigate it just in case. Don't worry about it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommaCat0408
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I am required to report my income each month so they can determine what my benefits are. I'm getting them again in March so i am assuming that if i was gonna get charged i wouldnt be getting anything? Thanks!

steviechick
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I know of someone that was accepting social services benefits for her handicapped child.  She got married and from what I remember didn't report her marriage to the social services (part of IRS).  She got into trouble because she still claimed herself a single mother.  Since she got married she was supposed to have claimed her new husband's income.  She ended up owing money back to the state because she 'failed' to report her new martial status.  So, basically, she commited fraud for about a year. 

Yes, not everyone actually commits fraud.  I'm sure your ex reported this falsehood to the authorities.  But, like in any case reported, it has to be checked out.  Sorry you have had to deal with this.  Welcome to the group.

MommaCat0408
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Yeah it was really stressful and I had so many anxiety attacks out of fear of what is going to happen. Does anyone else have experience with this? I have been trying to distract myself so that i dont think about it or worry about it. Easier said than done lol.  

easinpc
by Gold Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 4:49 PM

welcome!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)