Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single mom and working.... I NEED ADVICE PLEASE!

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 2:27 AM
  • 15 Replies

I am a single mom and the last year I have been trying like heck to find a job that fits with daycare and life in general..... I am not having the best of luck. 

I love my son and want to make sure I am involved as much as possible. The jobs I am looking for are jobs that requier evening and weekend avalibulity. Daycare doesnt go past 6 and when I found a daycare that does stay open later I am really not sure I like it.

I have started several jobs over the last year and everytime I get about a month into the job I am already having to miss days because my son is sick or I get sick or the one that drives me the most crazy is I HAVE NO HELP!

Being a mother is simple to me but trying to figure out how to throw work in to the mix and in march it will be a full time college as well. I am just not sure what to do. I clearly have to work to support us and to get a good paying job I need to go to college.

ANY ADVICE!!!!!!

by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 2:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EMTMOMMY2012
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:45 AM
2 moms liked this
Hey there I am sorry to hear about your struggles . I can completely understand where you are coming from I am a single mom of two ages 11 & 2 and daycare is a royal pain in te butt. I am super lucky to have a really good job but it keeps me away from home and my kids for a week at a time basically . . I work 7 days straight 12 hrs a day with another 2 hrs tacked on for travel time to and from . I have been lucky to find a daycare during the weekdays that is willing to work around my goofy schedule for my 2 yr old not so lucky with the 11 yr old . I would start looking into maybe having a sitter that you would feel comfortable with watching your kid(s) in your home or at theirs. I have found that those tend to be the most flexible compared to a facility. I know there are some websites out there that offer babysitting information for people looking for childcare providers . . They usual have a good variety of people and offer lots of info on their background and training
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Feb. 24, 2013 at 5:34 AM
Good luck ladies.
Mietze78
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I would have to second EMTMOMMY on the recommendation of finding a sitter. From what you said your looking for, a daycare is not going to offer you the supportive resources you're looking for. Don't give up, just change your strategy a bit. You got this. :)

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:59 AM

google 24hour day cares you may have to go the home daycare route but they do have them.  unfortunatly they are going to get sick because they are exposed to new germs my son was sick for his first year in day care.  good luck!

Cenedra64
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Been there done that. Its tough when theyre young. Thankfully mine are teens now and can stay home alone. If there is anyone you could recruit to help like a family member or relative when theyre sick that would help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
purple68134
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:07 PM

All of my family is at minimum of 45minutes away and even though I never ask for help unless I have no choice but to ask them they still dont come through. 

BritBrit43
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I just read your post and was compelled to respond.  I am sorry that you are going through a hard time ... one thing that I always tell myself is that no matter what - everything will be okay.  There is always someone who has it worse as well ... the key to getting past this is to believe that you can.  I truly believe in the old motto - fake it until you make it.  Pretend that you have it all together and eventually - everything will fall into line.  With that being said, you certainly can't have opportunity drop into your lap.  You need to make it happen on your own and asking for help is the first step to getting there!

I was determined to make it work for myself prior to the final decision to divorce my husband of 18 years.  We have three children and a hefty mortgage.  I "faked it until I made it" by getting a job in surgical sales.  I was making a fat salary but super busy and little time to spend with my children.  I didn't really have it all like I thought I did.  The blessing in disguise was being laid off from that job after 10 months. It happened right after Thanksgiving and before Christmas.

A good friend of mine approached me about a business opportunity to sell skincare.  It sounded horrible at first  - I didn't want to do home parties, etc.  She told me it was nothing like this and many women are making six figures after a year and you do it in your own time.  Take a look at my site and see if it is of interest to you.  It is something that you work around your life rather than you working your life around your work. 

https://brittanyhill.myrandf.biz

https://brittanyhill.myrandf.com

If it isn't for you, I totally understand but if you want to make a ton of money doing this, it is TOTALLY doable.  It is all what you put into it.

Hope some of this helps!

Best,

Brittany

aurorabear
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I recently just got out of a situation like this. Its hard. I know how you feel! I started my own business and took control!

songbird2716
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I've settled on finding jobs that I can do with the kids. I work part-time at a daycare right now and part tine in the nursery at a church. I've also done things like help out a woman who had surgery and needed help around the house/to be driven to appointments. I've found that while companies are not very flexible/understanding, individual people are. Seek out those people who are understanding and willing to be flexible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robsessed98
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Why are you looking for evening jobs if daycare is only available during the day?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)