Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do u unspoil, your baby

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:12 PM
  • 18 Replies
How do you un spoil your baby? I didn't believe it when everyone warned me but I think I held my baby too much when he was smaller now he's 9 months and still crys when he wants attention ....... he doesn't like playing on his own, he throws a fit and cries after 15 minutes....I could only give him so much affection when I'm busy with homework or cooking or cleaning......... I really want him to be more independent so it can be easier on both of us..... did any of you ladies go thru this if so how did u break it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Robsessed98
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Make sure he has plenty of age appropriate things to get interested in and gradually wean him off of you and into them. Stay strong, determined and consistent because its probably going to kinda tough for a bit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
idunno1234
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:41 PM
8 moms liked this
First of all, there's no such thing as spoiling a baby under a year.

If your baby is able to occupy himself for 15 minutes at 9 months, that's totally age appropriate.

Treasure these days, as hard, constant and annoying being on call for a demanding baby is. All too soon, the ability to spoil becomes a potential reality and babyhood is over with all it's perks of being able to carry, hug and mush your little one to your heart's content.

I miss those days. Sometimes.
Mommyto2LilMen
by Tina on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I agree!  :)

Quoting idunno1234:

If your baby is able to occupy himself for 15 minutes at 9 months, that's totally age appropriate.

Treasure these days, as hard, constant and annoying being on call for a demanding baby is. All too soon, the ability to spoil becomes a potential reality and babyhood is over with all it's perks of being able to carry, hug and mush your little one to your heart's content.

tyfry7496
by Janet on Feb. 26, 2013 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. I teach 3 years olds and most of them still don't have a 15 min attention span. A 9 month old with one is amazing!!!

You can not spoil a baby. I'm sure many moms that have lost their babies due to death would love to have that baby back to hold, to love, to play with.

Cleaning can wait, homework can wait. Spend the time with your baby. Love your baby. They are only little once.

Quoting idunno1234:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LifeCafe42
by Nora on Feb. 26, 2013 at 11:23 PM
I agree enjoy but I also get you need some time have you tried a jumper or I would have DS (actually still do) "help" me wash the dishes at that age I'd put down a towel and a bowl of water to splash in
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TinaCrystal
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:45 AM
I do treasure my baby, I give him all the love and time I can, I'm just having a hard time with balancing getting done what I have to get done while meeting his needs........ I posted this for advice on how to help him become more independent...... I get what your saying but spare me the first of all, Idon't need anyones attitude

Quoting idunno1234:

TinaCrystal
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:52 AM
thank you for your advice :-)

Quoting Robsessed98:

Make sure he has plenty of age appropriate things to get interested in and gradually wean him off of you and into them. Stay strong, determined and consistent because its probably going to kinda tough for a bit.

PoplarGrove
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Do you have an exersaucer or a jolly jumper.  At that age, if they can't walk yet, it seems to entertain them and you can keep him close so you can still talk to him and give him visual attention.  Or try a sling or a carrier.  If he hasn't been in one he might not like them but you never know.  

I carried all mine in slings until they were at least 18 months so I can't help you in the not spoiling, lol.  I personally don't feel you can spoil a baby.  

otoole
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:06 AM
1 mom liked this

you didn't spoil him, its his age, just try to relax. it will get easier in time, trust me i have a 2year old and 1year old and for awhile i thought how am i going to do this forever. i have no me time, now that they are at this age, they play away together and i have a good amount of me time. dont worry about getting things done now, they will get done in time.

themrsrick
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I work in the same room with my daughter. She can't see me from her play pen, though. When she starts fussing, I go over, smile and chat with her a bit, then get a different toy for her to play with. She's 6 months old and up to a half hour of quiet non-interruption play time. :) Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)