Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Should I Say Something?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:34 AM
  • 11 Replies

I posted a few weeks ago in a different spot about how disrespectful and rude my 3 year old has gotten. While realizing it is mostly because he is home with my mother a lot, things slide. His behavior has changed greatly since she started watching him.

My problem is now he is rude to me and it doesn't phase her. Should I say something to her about it? Here's an example of that happening last night. I took my 3 year old ds out to the mall. We went through a shoe store where my son proceeded to kick at the displays. After reprimanding him twice, I finally said we were leaving. He turned, looked at and said, "Shut up." Utterly shocked, I put him in time out right there. When we got home, I let my mother know what happened and why he was going straight to bed.

My mother gave him a hug and began to talk to him about why it was not nice to kick other people's things and that we shouldn't be so rude in the store. On and on. Not once did she mention or say that he should not be so rude to me or talk to me that way. Is it ok to let that slide or should I tell her that he can't do that?

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
themrsrick
by Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:05 AM
There is no way that would be ok with me! I was a teacher and saw little hints of rebellion explode into huge things while they were still kids-- and then the teenage years broke out! I say nip it in the bud! Good job catching it, mama!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Two_Hearts
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:11 AM

I would start looking into a daycare for your son...

Honestly, it sounds as though your mother is not on board with backing you up in any way, there should have been a ' you do not treat your mother that way!' somewhere in there.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Feb. 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM
I'm sorry I wouldn't be leaving him with her. You are mom and she shouldn't undermind you oooh I'd be pissed off
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
breebree04
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I would definately say something. She is your mom so you should be able to have a conversation with her about it. If things dont change after your conversation then I would start looking for another babysitter/daycare.

tyfry7496
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:46 PM
My son would NEVER get away with speaking to me like that. Time to find different arrangements for your child. Your mother is undermining you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steviechick
by Gold Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 12:59 PM

You own mother is disrespecting you.  Time to look for another daycare provider. 

BambiEyes26
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Your son maybe going through some sort of phase and also transition since he is home with your mom a lot and now shes watching him. I would talk to her one on one and see whats going on. Maybe she's not the right choice for a caretaker for him.

brieri
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:29 PM

It appears you have reprimanded him twice.  I don't know the words you said to him.  On the other hand, your mom appears to be a loving person, and explained the consequences relating to kicking in the store, and not be rude while in the store.  She was including you, just not saying "Your mom this and that", .  You have done your duty saying he's going straight to bed and that's good enough. No need to go into great lengths of something you said to him and then being reprimanded again by someone else.  The problem appeared to resolved.  Let it go.

abusednotbroken
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:32 AM

It's not her responsibility to tell him he was rude to you. If she didn't mention it, it's not as if she needs to tell him. That would be your responsibility as the parent. The issue is that he needs to be told; not her.

LilMamaK
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:40 AM

There's no way that would fly! I would of had it out with my Mom! No offense, but, your Mom is helping to mold your son and it's not looking like she is doing a good job! You need to sit down and talk with her and let her know how you want YOUR son to be raised and so what standords!

*~*Mommy to Allyana(7.5.08), StepMom to Aidan(6.5.07), & My Angel Baby Jovanny(3.6.10)*~*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN