Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Single Moms Single Moms

Going back to court

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

So I found out last night that my ex is planning on taking me back to court to try to get his legal rights back (I have sole legal, joint physical). I have been wanting to take him back to try to reduce the amount of visitation time he has with the kids. Do you think that I should file first or wait and see if he actually does anything.

I am worried about going back bc we had  TERRIBLE guardian and that is who the judge listens too (and yes we would have to have the same one). I know the kids wont talk badly about their dad to her and I'm afraid I would spend a whole lot of money I don't have and have nothing change or possibly change of the worse. I don't know what to do but don't want to make it look like I am "retaliating" against him if he tries to get legal rights back.

What should I do??

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Ridingsolo
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I wouldn't waste money for that, but instead would try to get a good lawyer and formulate a plan so that you can prevent him from getting his legal rights back if he tries.  I think I remember from your previous posts that he had been irresponsible with dr visits/medicine..? 

brieri
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Umm, wishing you the best of luck whatever you decide.

LifeCafe42
by Nora on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:10 PM

good luck with your decision i'm sorry i don't have any advice

LauraMH
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Yes, he is irresponsible with everything when it comes to the kids. He never puts them first and more than once has put them in (what I consider) dangerous situations. I really do want to reduce his time and have even been discussing it with my lawyer over the last few months, I just don't want it to look as if I am only doing it bc he wants his right back.

Quoting Ridingsolo:

I wouldn't waste money for that, but instead would try to get a good lawyer and formulate a plan so that you can prevent him from getting his legal rights back if he tries.  I think I remember from your previous posts that he had been irresponsible with dr visits/medicine..? 

harleigh07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:16 PM

well I'm not sure why you would want to take away rights unless he is physically and or verbally abusing the kids. if that's the case then I wouldn't consider it wasting money. I just spent over 16,000$ that i don't really have for my lawyer, and it was worth every penny. 

I wish you luck in your decesion. look things up on recording your kids when asking them questions and their answers. take tons of pictures. keep a diary and write down everything that happens when interacting with the ex and kids when they come back. 

Good Luck!

Oliviasmom72
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Why did he lose visitation rights? The standard of parenting is very low. The courts generally are not supportive of one parent not having regular visitation unless he is neglecting the kids or abusing them. Have you requested Dad take parenting classes?

sid1083
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:12 AM

Unless there was a substantial change, I wouldn't imagine he'd have a strong case to reinstate joint legal. Regardless of whether he files first, or you file first, you're going to be spending the $$$ either way. I'd just wait . . . because really, what's the incentive here to file anyway?

LeighAnn_27
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:39 AM
Good Luck!

Quoting LauraMH:

So I found out last night that my ex is planning on taking me back to court to try to get his legal rights back (I have sole legal, joint physical). I have been wanting to take him back to try to reduce the amount of visitation time he has with the kids. Do you think that I should file first or wait and see if he actually does anything.

I am worried about going back bc we had  TERRIBLE guardian and that is who the judge listens too (and yes we would have to have the same one). I know the kids wont talk badly about their dad to her and I'm afraid I would spend a whole lot of money I don't have and have nothing change or possibly change of the worse. I don't know what to do but don't want to make it look like I am "retaliating" against him if he tries to get legal rights back.

What should I do??

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN